Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 194 L6 that I am tuning up. When I put the timing light on the engine only having it hooked to the #3 wire shows the timing mark.

Is there anything that could have happened to the engine to cause this, other than someone messing with the distributor or rotating the crankshaft with it out? (Yes, the distributor is oriented correctly and all wires are correctly installed).

Additionally, since I plan on converting to an HEI; with the distrubutor out would I rotate the crankshaft until the #1 is at TDC and install the new one in the correct position?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Hey Now, Happens on engines all the time. Has to do with the crank/cam rotation one being at half speed (cam) of the (crank). Just be sure that you have the same timing mark readings on # 1 cylinder plug wire. Set your up grade distributer at the # 1 orientation of old distributer.
Yes # 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I don't have a whole lot of experience but I went through the procedure to determine TDC of #1:

-Removed #1 spark plug and valve cover
-Rotated the engine with my finger over the spark plug hole
-Was able to determine the compression stroke by pressure out the hole
-Additionally I confirmed this by watching the valves

However, the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley was no where near the timing plate. As best as I can tell the mark actually does coorespond to TDC on the #3 cylinder not #1. I feel I'm missing something here. Shouldn't the timing mark coorespond with #1 at TDC?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts