Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What width fan belts are correct for six cylinder alt, p/s, and a/c pulleys?
The 1/2" (17 series) seems too big and 7/16" (15 series) seems a little too small. :confused:

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
What width fan belts are correct for six cylinder alt, p/s, and a/c pulleys?
The 1/2" (17 series) seems too big and 7/16" (15 series) seems a little too small. :confused:

I was gonna say : beltS ? ?

Can you post a picture of your engine ................... that would be very cool to see ........... I'm just a " six junkie" , I guess , and what year ?

my 3rd gen has alt belt & factory a/c belt ............. but ...........
only " strong - arm " steering. (pretty much stock 250 motor).

jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
belts - im curious too

I'm going to be going down this road starting in February with my project so I'm subscribing to this one too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been collecting all NOS parts to do the same thing on my car. I know "Wagonman" did this quite a few years ago and posted some pics. I seem to remember that he was saying the book diagrams set up would slip on the AC.
hopefully someone who has a working example will chime in. I will be watching this post closely

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I did not measure my belts, but went to my notes and found the following:

Alternator belt, NAPA XL 25-7380 (May 2011)
AC compressor belt, NAPA XL 25-7525 (May 2011)

Alternator mounted on driver side and AC compressor on Pass side.

I do not have PS but do have Vintage Air.

Hope this helps.

Lou

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
check this out
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221151
I think I have both of those pulley sets, with all my AC parts. I will look in my books to see if there are multiple part numbers
Jfreez ....

Thanks for that thread 'post' .... you can't find too many of those
I-6's with A/C . Plus, "1963wagonman" ..... has it ALL on his car.
Chevy I-6 with power steering, A/C, power brakes, and really good pictures of all those "pulleys".

My 69 (250) has factory A/C but nothing else. (I have added front "power disc brakes) ... but, no power steering (yet) .... I DO Have all the 'stuff for the change-over' on my 73 parts car. My A/C is still 'intact' -- and, I'm working on re-doing all my a/c hoses at this time.
What I can not find: is the "Factory (6 cylinder A/C only) Fan - Clutch drive for the water pump ...... I've been looking for over 20 years ...... even bought one from Classic Ind. a long time ago. They said it fit a Camaro 6 with factory a/c ...................... NOT. This Nova has a V 8 three row (stock) radiator and (stock) 7 blade fan (#3947772) with a "short water pump" (I-6 a/c only water pump). It does show all those parts in my 'Factory Assembly Manual' : page C60 , C5 ... (69 Nova FAM). Both my water pump pulley & fan blade have GM numbers on them .... but , the fan clutch only has what looks like a build date number -- no part #.

anyway, thanks for those links (and thanks to '1963wagonman').

Pictures:

Look at the "center hole step"
Look at the "blade GM number" and above that look at the "date code" .... my car has
a 7 c build date

Look at "How Short" the shaft is

fan & clutch mounted on '250 engine'

Look at the a/c water pump : it has that "step for the fan clutch alignment" .... go back & look at picture #2

The pump on the right : chevy I-6 A/C "short water pump". shorter housing and shorter 'shaft' ... with "step flange" .
The Regular Chevy I-6 pump on the left : short a/c housing used with a long (standard) shaft . TOO long to fit with 'stock a/c - HD - V8 radiator ....... plus it makes all the pulleys Off , won't line-up.

hey ..... we all like to see pictures ..... I'm done .... :devil:

Well it might help someone else out down th' road ----- I can't have the only one .... GM ........ must have made more of these ....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was gonna say : beltS ? ?

Can you post a picture of your engine ................... that would be very cool to see ........... I'm just a " six junkie" , I guess , and what year ?

my 3rd gen has alt belt & factory a/c belt ............. but ...........
only " strong - arm " steering. (pretty much stock 250 motor).

jim
It's a 4 door 1965 194/glide/power nothing Nova.

Hopefully this weekend i can get some pictures and put together a description of the work and parts. Don't know how helpful it would be for originality because this was a redesign/upgrade of a Sears after market air conditioning system (probably installed when the car was new or only a few years old).

I did find the correct belts, turned out I bought the wrong style. But still forced by Sanden to use their too wide pulley or abandon the stock pulleys and brackets. Never occurred to me the stock 65 six cylinder compressor would have a pulley narrower than for a V-8 - maybe they never did (?).

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Terry

Really ... anything may have happened, or, someone could have changed things up on any of our Novas during the last 50 years.

That's what is "strange about my Car" , I bought this Nova back in '95 (second owner). And this car IS -- WAS very original , when I bought it. I've started to change things (update items) just within the last 2 / 3 years. (the car still has the "spare tire" in the trunk, that grandpa bought when he was still alive .... along time ago).

The 1st thing most people do is ..... pull the 6 , and start changing everything. Not me ...... I drove this car for 18 / 19 years , and changed nothing. I had my 'front disc brake' change over parts for over 20 years ... before I installed them.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey ..... 1963wagonman ....

your "Photobucket Pictures" work .... that's good

mine are still there (on my PB page) -- but no longer working.

Do you still have your wagon, nice ride.

to me , it looks like you used 'Stovebolt's headers (split exhaust). Any more pictures of that set-up?

I'll send u a pm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts