Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stub on my choke rod broke. I have to wire rod in place. Anyone have one they don't need? Safety glove Textile Motor vehicle Red Gas

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
229 Posts
Where did it break? I've made new ones out of heavy gauge coat hangers in the past with a lot of luck.

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
229 Posts
Great tip! Good to know in case it ever happens to me. 🍻
They're not under a whole lot of stress. Think about how light the spring is on the choke t-stat... and as long as the choke on the carb isn't bound up it works great.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,820 Posts
kt64 ..................... Your picture works good ....................

but , I have a question = for your question .....................

we need alittle more info - - - in u'r post # 1 - - - showing your "intake / exhaust manifold" - - - .
We can see "u'r choke rod" ; but I also see the 'broken bolt' - - for holding down the "choke spring unit"
onto u'r manifold ................. ? ? ?

my question is : a broken BOLT or a broken CHOKE ROD , see what I mean . . . . . . . ?

For that broken
BOLT , I'd start 'spraying some P V blaster' on that broken bolt . Letting it get some
'soking - in - time' . That's a VERY Small / short 1/4" bolt . Would you have a small "left - handed drill
bit" . Then , search for what size "ease - out" it takes (too remove a 1/4" bolt) .

Let us know ........... while that broken bolt is soking . I go & look at my 'chart' .

. . .
jim

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kt64 ..................... Your picture works good ....................

but , I have a question = for your question .....................

we need alittle more info - - - in u'r post # 1 - - - showing your "intake / exhaust manifold" - - - .
We can see "u'r choke rod" ; but I also see the 'broken bolt' - - for holding down the "choke spring unit"
onto u'r manifold ................. ? ? ?

my question is : a broken BOLT or a broken CHOKE ROD , see what I mean . . . . . . . ?

For that broken
BOLT , I'd start 'spraying some P V blaster' on that broken bolt . Letting it get some
'soking - in - time' . That's a VERY Small / short 1/4" bolt . Would you have a small "left - handed drill
bit" . Then , search for what size "ease - out" it takes (too remove a 1/4" bolt) .

Let us know ........... while that broken bolt is soking . I go & look at my 'chart' .

. . .
jim
The 'tang' or 'stub' broke where it goes into thermostat coil. At time it broke I thought I could replace it by removing that housing. When bolt broke I used wire to keep rod in place . Would like to git rid of wire.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,820 Posts
The 'tang' or 'stub' broke where it goes into thermostat coil. At time it broke I thought I could replace it by removing that housing. When bolt broke I used wire to keep rod in place . Would like to git rid of wire.
Hi . . . an even better way too go ..................... 'check your carb' ............ on the "end of your choke
rod (choke butter-fly rod) " .............. does it have a '.screw-on (connector) TANG .

here's a picture : ......... on my 69 1bbl mono-jet = choke rod (butterfly "fitting" ) .......... mine had a screw
holding this connector to my choke rod = the cross rod , that holds the butterfly .

# 1. - - look where the 'manual choke wire' connects onto the top of this carb . . . (on the end, of that rod
with the small slotted screw & washer.

I think that's the same " TANG " that connects to the 'auto choke rod' (on the exhaust manifold) .
For the auto choke - - - - I just removed the screw - - - - and flipped that TANG over ; too use with a
manual choke cable .
Thus , works better .......... and , gets rid of the 'auto choke rod & spring connector' - completely .

# 2. - - You can see that I Did Flatten out that TANG .
then , just hook-up a "pull choke cable" ...................... 'bingo' .

# 3. - - not sure , where that (manifold) spring & rod , went too . May have gotten 'tossed-out' .

and , never looked back ......................................... (then , went too my 4bbl carb) ............ .

a 194 1bbl may be different ................

. . . jim

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll check tomorrow morning if you still need 1.
I have a complete 194 in my shop.
I'll check tomorrow morning if you still need 1.
I have a complete 194 in my shop.
Hi . . . an even better way too go ..................... 'check your carb' ............ on the "end of your choke
rod (choke butter-fly rod) " .............. does it have a '.screw-on (connector) TANG .

here's a picture : ......... on my 69 1bbl mono-jet = choke rod (butterfly "fitting" ) .......... mine had a screw
holding this connector to my choke rod = the cross rod , that holds the butterfly .

# 1. - - look where the 'manual choke wire' connects onto the top of this carb . . . (on the end, of that rod
with the small slotted screw & washer.

I think that's the same " TANG " that connects to the 'auto choke rod' (on the exhaust manifold) .
For the auto choke - - - - I just removed the screw - - - - and flipped that TANG over ; too use with a
manual choke cable .
Thus , works better .......... and , gets rid of the 'auto choke rod & spring connector' - completely .

# 2. - - You can see that I Did Flatten out that TANG .
then , just hook-up a "pull choke cable" ...................... 'bingo' .

# 3. - - not sure , where that (manifold) spring & rod , went too . May have gotten 'tossed-out' .

and , never looked back ......................................... (then , went too my 4bbl carb) ............ .

a 194 1bbl may be different ................

. . . jim
194 1bbl is different. here is a pic of it. The tang that goes into coil broke. I would like to git rid if wire hold down.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts