Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the stock Rochester 1bbl needs to either be rebuilt or replaced. what are my options for a reasonably priced upgrade that will provide some performance improvement without sacrificing gas mileage (this will be my wife's daily driver)?

62 wagon, powerglide, all stock.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
with out buying another intake you can get a 2b adaptor. and buy a holley/weber 2 from Tom Langdon it is a 1b with a secondary.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. i'm not too carb savvy, will any of the holley 2b carbs fit with the adapter plate or do I need to look for a specific type?

·
Registered
553 Posts
You are gonna get into some $$$$ with replacing the carb with a 2 bbl. Plus you will lose mpgs too. If you need a rebuilt carb, NAPA still has them for around $160. I put one on mine and it runs great, and gets 23mpg. Also, Holley made a carb called the Economaster that I also used and got 25-26 mpg but it really killed the power. You also might look into different cams for a power increase. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you are looking to achieve. Which is more important? Mpgs or mphs?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
if you go w a rebuilt 1bbl, they are notorius for having warped decks, so be careful, probally something you cant see by looking at it.........

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips, gents. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I think i'll go with rebuilding my existing carb first. if that doesn't work, i'll look into a rebuilt NAPA carb.

thanks again!

·
Registered
818 Posts
The Weber/Carter 2 barrel is $85.00 and the adapter is $15.00 from Stovebolt. As far as mileage, it will be no worse than the original one barrel if you keep your foot out of it and may actually be better as it will not have worn shafts, butterfly and etc.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bruce said:
The Weber/Carter 2 barrel is $85.00 and the adapter is $15.00 from Stovebolt. As far as mileage, it will be no worse than the original one barrel if you keep your foot out of it and may actually be better as it will not have worn shafts, butterfly and etc.
I just checked stovebolt.com and didn't see any prices. do you have a different link?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bruce said:

Where are these mythical 85.00 carbs that I have heard legends about? I will take two at that price. Also, lets have some links for the adapter.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Encountering problems, hope you guys can help...

I rebuilt my carb and I definitely notice an improvement but gas is still slowly seeping out of the air horn gasket. I'm 99.9% certain I properly adjusted the float level but maybe it is too high. i'll lower it a bit and see how that goes.

Just spoke with Tom at Stovebolt about replacing my factory Rochester BC 1bbl with one of his Holley Webers (http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/acartpro/product.asp?productid=149) and the outlook doesn't look good. Not only will there be linkage issues (he doesn't sell a linkage kit for my application) but there also will likely be a hood clearance problem. The Holley Weber isn't particularly tall but with the adapter and extra gasket, it will probably not fit.

Question for you 194'ers out there, what carbs have you used other than stock and what have you done to make it fit?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
w the six virtually anything other than stock, youll have to fab up some linkage......some set ups a simple mod will work, others youll need a whole new set up..... but at minimum youll need some mods.....

ive got a holley 390 four bbl, complete custom linkage using some lokar parts......

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slow63; did you have any hood clearance issues with your Holley 390? I'd love to see some pics of your setup if you have any.

Johnny Rotten; according to Tom/Stovebolt the carb you posted a pic of is definitely too tall for my 62. He referred to the $65 Holley Weber carb instead as the one most likely to fit under my hood: http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/acartpro/product.asp?productid=149

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well i tried anywho ;)

i'm thinkin' yer the one who PM'd me about this right ??? i get brain fade all the time... i'm glad yer getting info that's helpin' ya. i've seen a few threads about "Stovebolt" here at the site, always good stuff too. if he had a recommendation for ya, that's a good thing :D

glad everything's at least looking up for ya.

Options are always nice ta have available...

best of luck to ya ;)

the Rotten one :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JR, yeah that was me. i thought i replied to you but i guess not :confused:
thanks for your thoughts and encouragement.

i'll try tweaking on the Rochester tomorrow afternoon (hopefully the good Lord will ease up on the sun, i was melting last weekend!).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have run anything from a single 600 holley on a offey to dual 450 holleys on a clifford intake. To My own 3x4 tunnel ram intake with 3 450 holleys. But besides building my own intakes I also Make linkage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts