Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 64 SS 0447 (vin), auto on floor,PS, MB with a six. I've been reading the posts and I am still very confused as to what I have.
- Six cylinder badges
- Dipstick near dist.
- Number near dipstick is 3850817 GM (below)

Been fighting with my local parts store when they tell me that "no SS every had a six cylinder."

What do you all think?

·
Registered
107 Posts
To my knowledge the only option was a inline 6 for the ss till they came out with v8's. The 153 inline 4 wasn't a SS option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Yes, a 64 SS could be had with a 6 cyl. SS was a trim option only in 64.

·
13,701 Posts
JD is correct. In 1964 there was a six cylinder SS. It was confusing, because there was no way to tell from the VIN whether a 1964 SS was a six or V/8. They both showed the model as 0447. From 1965 through 1967,Chevy II super sports also had both V/8 and six cylinder engines, but they had separate VINs.

Bob

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Any pictures of your engine (under hood shot, of the complete motor).

I understand what you're asking ---- All / any of the 'short-deck' six motors will fit into the 64 body. you are correct about the 'dip-stick' location (next to the dist.) .

BUT, you CAN Drill that dip-stick hole for the later - 230 or 250 - motors to work with the early "front-sump" type oil pans.

What I'm saying -- is someone could have drilled that forward dip-stick hole & installed a 'front-sump oil pan' & used the 194 parts too make a later motor look " like a 194 " stock engine … takes alittle doing -- but, not that hard. ==== I kinda doubt it …. but, see what I mean.
Best way --- is to check your 'Engine Code' ; and other Nova info :

https://www.novaresource.org/

you are looking for a two letter (suffix) code .. (my 250 -- is BC ).
It will also show how to 'decode' your complete engine number:
like --- ' F 0709 BC ' - 551162 (the vin sequence number)

my 69 dash VIN # 113279W551162 (works for my 3rd gen -- 64 = ?)

I do know several SNS members that have 'drilled that forward dip-stick oil "hole" on some 250 motors , in 63-64 body cars ------ PLUS , keep in mind - that these cars are 50 plus years old … anything could have been done, over the years.
That's kinda like WHAT SNS is ==== have a question - ask your question , someone may have the answer you need .
Keep us posted , how it works out ……….

and, WELCOME to SNS ………… jim

·
13,701 Posts
The 3850817 casting number given by the OP was a 230 CID or 250 CID six cylinder Chevrolet block used between 1962 and 1978. In 1964, there was no 250 CID six for Chevy IIs, so the engine in the car could be an original 230 CID. The suffix code is required to determine if it is a Chevy II six cylinder.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts