Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO all, let me introduce myself. Names Devin and im 19 and building this car on a poor college kids budget! criticism and advice is appreciated thanks.

so last year i bought a 71 nova. The guy who had it only bought it to pull a SUPER nice 383 out of it and then left the car to sit in his yard. I payed him $1000 dollars for it and he threw in some other stuff.
the floors are shot but the tunnel is still in good shape. dash is in good shape. and its got some nice disk brakes (drilled slotted rotors) and a completely rebuilt front end. (new aa arms and bushings and everything else).

SO for $1000 dollars i got: pics below
The car
brand new aftermarket bucket seats
brand new sunpro tach
brand new 4 core aluminum radiator (griffon) with electric fan

so the car has no motor but does have a supposedly semi built turbo 400 in it (aluminum pan) and a tranny cooler. I picked up this 350 a couple days after i bought the car for $400. it came with everything oil pan to carb and i got to hear it run.

thats my dad in the picture hah

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the motor

as you can see the car is pretty torn up. some dents but not to bad, and yes the fenders are stuffed inside the car when i got it.

heres some more pictures of what ive done to it over the last couple months (going to college away from home so only get to work on it on the weekends i come home :(

pressure washing the engine

all cleaned up

i then changed the intake manifold gasket and put the hei back on and the new edelbrock 600 cmf carb that came with it. stock everything in the motor for now besides those. the block is a mid 70s out of a truck

painting the engine

and the finished product after i put 50 dollars into it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more progress

bought some new headers (summit brand $99) and put the engine in.

anyone else have this problem? the headers hit the stearing box or whatever that is so i had to bang on them with a hammer for a little bit to get them to fit.

after that was in i started putting together the front end of the car.

hooked it all up and suprisinly it ran pretty dam good. i took it for a drive down the street and burned some rubber (without the front panels on) got the cops called on me and got away with a warning :devil:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Looks like a good deal. Did it come with a nose?
And watch out them old guys are fast! And most have a wealth of knowledge about novas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as ive gotten

heres ome pics of the rest of it put together and after i painted it with flat black spray paint.

painted the inner wheel wells (look ok?)

the cool hood that came with the car (gonna have to replace it because of the fiberglass part is cracking

and the painted product

so i got the rest of the front end put together and then a couple days later had to leave for my first year of college. i did get to come home and drive it around a little. quickly found out my gas tank was leaking in multiple places so ordered a new tank($120) and some 5 point seatbelts (150 for both).

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Not bad for a start and looks like you are getting it done quickly. Not many young guns out there wanting these old cars. As far as the header hitting, you can use a prybar and bend the header in that area in. I have had to on past Novas before. Good luck with your project and keep a low profile in your neighborhood and the cops will be cool with you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a couple more things

well bieng the kid i am i of course cant leave anything the way it is. so i found a good deal on a Lunati cam (flat tappet). and lifters with springs for $200 bucks from summit. i installed that on a weekend i came home and broke the cam in. its a advertised lift of 284 so its not to huge. going to have to get it timed sometime soon. and also cleaned up the brakes

couple of months later i got new floor pans for it and had my dad help me weld them in. THIS WAS BEFORE WE PUT IN THE NEW GAS TANK! SO IT WAS LEAKING GAS (slowly) while we cut the nold ones out and welded the new ones in :hiding: that was scary but it looks good

heres a couple of pictures of the window etchings (its on both sides) the owner had done when he used to race it.

since then ive done this
rear seat , carpet, door panels , front seats
new shifter (b&M)
2.5 inch flowmaster exhaust with crossover pipe.
installed new gas tank in trunk and put in electric fuel pump.
and done alot of body work to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more to come

so pretty much ive spent about 2800-3000 dollars on the entire car so far. i still need to time it properly but it drives and shifts really smooth. this is my first build ever. i have tinkered on a couple friends cars before but nothing to this extent. its taken alot of work to get to where i am, i hope you guys can appricate a younger guy trying to do soemthing like this. any comments are appreciated and please if you have any tips or pointers let me know!
ill put up some pictures of the interior and body work tongight if i get time.

And call me crazy but ive been inspired to do something probabbly really stupid yet really cool and swap the front bumper with a 69 camaro bumper and valence.. sort of like troys famous notorious nova.

i know mine probabbly wont end up as good but with a little help from dad i think i can make it happen. ive already got a bumper off craigslist for $50 bucks and a valence for 70$ online with the fender extensions for $30 each. normally i wouldnt do anything like this for a car but nova bumpers are to big and bulky for me. ill put some pics up as i progress through it. Thanks guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like a good deal. Did it come with a nose?
And watch out them old guys are fast! And most have a wealth of knowledge about novas.
yah it came with the hood and fenders core support and grill. and yup i know they got the knowledge and money factors over me but im learning fast. that is what youtube is for haha :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not bad for a start and looks like you are getting it done quickly. Not many young guns out there wanting these old cars. As far as the header hitting, you can use a prybar and bend the header in that area in. I have had to on past Novas before. Good luck with your project and keep a low profile in your neighborhood and the cops will be cool with you.
yah a hammer did the trick for me. do you by chance (or anyone) know how to adjust the steering box? my steering seems really loose like i will turn the wheel and it has to turn alot before the car turns.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
yah a hammer did the trick for me. do you by chance (or anyone) know how to adjust the steering box? my steering seems really loose like i will turn the wheel and it has to turn alot before the car turns.
Is it power steering or manual? Inspect all steering parts for wear first.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You can try it, loosen jamb nut and turn center down until it just stops then tighten the jamb nut. Better option is to use a IROC camaro steering box, f41 , fe2 suspension option. This will improve steering feedback and make it 2.5 turns lock to lock.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Another youngin'! :eek::devil:

I'm 18, good to see others my age on here.

I think the bumper idea is pretty cool. I wouldn't go with the rims on the nova in the picture you posted myself. I think the slots look perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can try it, loosen jamb nut and turn center down until it just stops then tighten the jamb nut. Better option is to use a IROC camaro steering box, f41 , fe2 suspension option. This will improve steering feedback and make it 2.5 turns lock to lock.
thanks for the info i will have to give that a try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another youngin'! :eek::devil:

I'm 18, good to see others my age on here.

I think the bumper idea is pretty cool. I wouldn't go with the rims on the nova in the picture you posted myself. I think the slots look perfect.
good to know im not alone!
i plan on keeping my rims (painted black for now) but eventually i will probbaly get some bigger rims when i put disks on the rear end.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great job! In a short amount of time, yours is up and running while I'm still waiting to put paint on mine.

Please keep us informed on your progress and do I spy some green underneath that primer??
yes you do, the car was originally green, the insides of the door jams are the only part that is left that color now though and not for long.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts