Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting some 17in wheels from vintage wheel works v-40 for my 72 nova. I would like to see some specs on 17in wheels for a 3rd gen Nova with stock sub-frames and stock rear tubs with lowered suspension. My car will have C5 front brakes as I know with stock drums hubs it moves the wheel out a little but not much.

I would like to see specs that are on the road with no issues. I have done a lot of searches and really want to know what people are running in one forum

my current idea would really like a 8in wheel on the front but want a safe size

17x7 4.5bs with 235/40r17
17x9 5.75bs with 275/40r17

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got my V40 wheels this week. I wanted 8" on the front too. Based on everything I read they would need to be 4.75" backspace to work. That's the most that the v40 comes with typically. They can do 4 7/8" custom. Any more than that and the center sticks out over the step lip. Since I have Wilwood brakes that push the hubs out I went with the 4 7/8" just to get the wheel in as much as possible.

Can't comment on the rear since I have tubs. I would think you'd be limited to an 8" wheel with somewhere around 5" backspace though. Maybe a 9" since the tires won't bulge much compared to 15" wheels.

Haven't got them mounted yet so I can't confirm fitment yet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got my V40 wheels this week. I wanted 8" on the front too. Based on everything I read they would need to be 4.75" backspace to work. That's the most that the v40 comes with typically. They can do 4 7/8" custom. Any more than that and the center sticks out over the step lip. Since I have Wilwood brakes that push the hubs out I went with the 4 7/8" just to get the wheel in as much as possible.

Can't comment on the rear since I have tubs. I would think you'd be limited to an 8" wheel with somewhere around 5" backspace though. Maybe a 9" since the tires won't bulge much compared to 15" wheels.

Haven't got them mounted yet so I can't confirm fitment yet.
Thanks for the info. So you went with a 17x8 with 4 7/8bs what size tire? and about how much do you brakes push the hub out? I will be running C5 front brakes and they also push the hub out when using stock drum hubs.

And pics of them mounted really like the V-40 wheels

1 - 3 of 3 Posts