Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys have a main fuse installed between the battery and 12V feed to the fuse block?
I am installing an american autowire harness, they ship a main fuse but I am running out of space trying to find a place for it. Do any of the other companies recommend this or is it just american autowire?
Air conditioning, 3 ECM's, cruise control box and cable x box don't leave much room under the dash... don't want to mount it in the engine compartment.

Any thoughts
Tg

·
6,502 Posts
I actually have 3 fuses off of my battery (1-200A, 1-300A, and a 100A) going into three Stinger 200A relays.

What type of fuse and holder did they supply ?. I have access and can order two styles of fuses with more choices of fuse holders from Aamp Of America (they sell the Stinger line, Peripheral line, Autoloc products, and some others and I order from them weekly with very good service/very small back orders).

The fuse needs to be as close to the power source as possible. I too like to keep things clean but do you have any shots of the battery area ?. I've done a fair amount of custom work with audio systems through the years and let's say the battery is up front on the factory tray. Is there room underneath it to bolt it to the underside but still leave it somewhat accessible if it does need to be changed ?. If the battery is up front like on a 68-79 Nova you could also make some steel brackets to mount it behind the fender like how the horns are mounted on those year cars.

Here are some different styles to look at:

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/web/prods/fuse_holders.asp

I normally use the SEANLFH with anything from an 80A fuse to a 300A fuse. The studs are also long enough to double stack fuses (technically you could have 2-300A and get 600A of fusing or 2-200A to get 400A total).

Here's some shots of an Impala that I built 2 battery boxes for. I made some custom butted together ring connections, put the fuse inside the box with the battery, made a viewing/inspection window to see if it is good or blown and any short on the wire past the fuse and out of the box will be protected. Eventually when we get further along the boxes will be painted and vents added.

http://community.webshots.com/album/540677712ZGCuGO

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim
Battery is optima in the trunk. I will be running the cables up to the starter and engine block. Power for the fuse block will come off battery feed on the starter per american autowires instructions.
Fuse block is very similar to the stinger models, It is enclosed in a black plastic case with lugs on each end of fuse holder.

What is the purpose of installing a main fuse before the block? Why don't the others do it? Shouldn't the fuses in the block take care of any shorts?

Thanks
Tg

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Tom,

We use a lot of AAW harnesses. We always fuse the main battery cable, near the battery when trunk mounted. We then use the 175 mega fuse coming off the starter post and put it as close to the starter as possible. We want fused protection on the battery hot, before we enter the interior of the car.
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts