Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on putting 275/40 tire on a 17x9.5 wheel and stuffing it under a 71 nova. suspension is still stock monoleaf setup. Has anyone runner a simular setup? Any problems?

If my measurements are correct i will be running a 5.25 backspace. the section width on the tire is 10.9 on a 9.5 wheel i measured 12 inches on the money from the shock to the inside of the fender lip that already have been shaved down. The shock that is on there now is an air shock and i am planning on putting a stock style shock on so i know that will free up a little bit more room.

Just looking for some advice worried about putting all that money in the wheel and tires and it end up not working.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Did you take body roll into consideration?Sounds real tight.bm

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Could you get them test fit somewhere? They sound awful tight. Might want to check with a couple of the other big wheel guys around here.

Kev

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
hi there ;we r doing petty much the same wheel /tire com,look at post from us .17s under our 69.good imfo ;novasrus

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
a 17x9.5 should work with a 5.25 or more back spacing...i wouldnt run that rim with only a 275/40 tire..the tires wont look meaty enough im running that size tire on an 8" wide rim and they look fat..the 275 on a 9.5" rim might looked stretched

if you are really stuck on that rim size get atleast a 295/40..IMO

just a little hint with stock shocks...if you need a little more room up top, buy some qa1 shocks that dont have an upper sleeve, this gives almost another inch of space between the tire and the shock cylinder

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
strtlegal said:
a 17x9.5 should work with a 5.25 or more back spacing...i wouldnt run that rim with only a 275/40 tire..the tires wont look meaty enough im running that size tire on an 8" wide rim and they look fat..the 275 on a 9.5" rim might looked stretched
what bs are you running? i looked at you photobucket car looks awsome! What size wheel and tire are up front??

·
Registered
89 Posts
mac71ss said:
just added a sig with link to pics of my car if anyone is interested
Hey man got any updates on your rim and tire swap? I am also looking into the QA1 coilover conversion but am worried it won't provide enough drop for the 17's without dropping them down all the way and limiting shock travel. Any opinions on this or suggestions? Also what rim sizing and backspacing did you decide to go with?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
mac71ss said:
what bs are you running? i looked at you photobucket car looks awsome! What size wheel and tire are up front??

the front is 4" bsp and the rear is 4.75" no rubbing with more room in the rear..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NvrDun71 said:
Hey man got any updates on your rim and tire swap? I am also looking into the QA1 coilover conversion but am worried it won't provide enough drop for the 17's without dropping them down all the way and limiting shock travel. Any opinions on this or suggestions? Also what rim sizing and backspacing did you decide to go with?
i am in the process of installing my qa1's on the front. i will let you now how it turns out. I decided to run 17x8 and 17x7 with a 255 45 and a 235 45. i was afraid to go to wide because my wheels are special order and you only have once to get it right. my wheels should be here in a little over 2 weeks i will update yall then.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds good man. Def keep us updated on the install and be sure to get some pics up when complete or in process shots. Best of luck w/ tha swap. My QA1 's should be here this week!

BTW are you still running the stock LCA or are you running a coilover specific tubular LCA?

·
Registered
89 Posts
mac71ss said:
i just want to add i will be adding some steal to the LCA to beef it up.

Got any pics of the modification? I have heard an 1/8" plate cut to fit in the lower shock mounting location, then tack welded is all that really needs to be done to help distribute the load.

·
Registered
813 Posts
mac71ss said:
With this car on pt.com. Unless you have the short steering arms, those front wheels with 6" of bs won't even bolt on. If you do get them on, don't try to turn sharp, ever. I'm running an 18x7 with 4.75" bs, and a 245/40 18, and mire tire rubs the frame slightly at full lock. Imagine how bad his will rub, huge difference.

In the rear, that tire wouldn't even bolt on to my car. Well, maybe you could force it on, but it won't roll, lol.

I've got an 18x8 with 5.5" bs, on a 275 tire, and my tire has exaclty 5/8" between the tire and inner wheel house. So this guy's running another 3/4" of bs, and not rubbing? Hmmmm.... . GM must of been using larger wheel houses that day.

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0604phr_nova_feature/

·
Registered
89 Posts
MarkM68 said:
With this car on pt.com. Unless you have the short steering arms, those front wheels with 6" of bs won't even bolt on. If you do get them on, don't try to turn sharp, ever. I'm running an 18x7 with 4.75" bs, and a 245/40 18, and mire tire rubs the frame slightly at full lock. Imagine how bad his will rub, huge difference.

In the rear, that tire wouldn't even bolt on to my car. Well, maybe you could force it on, but it won't roll, lol.

I've got an 18x8 with 5.5" bs, on a 275 tire, and my tire has exaclty 5/8" between the tire and inner wheel house. So this guy's running another 3/4" of bs, and not rubbing? Hmmmm.... . GM must of been using larger wheel houses that day.

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0604phr_nova_feature/
I actually PM'd the guy over at PT.net regarding this and he is running a spacer front and rear. The wheels have the same offset that you would run on a 3rd-4th gen camaro. How they fit I have no clue, but it works with the right wheel spacer I guess.

I have even been told by some that nothing over 4.5 backspace will work on a lowered Nova w/ a 17"+ wheelsize. So the 4.75 backspace w/ a 245/40 is pretty impressive in itself. Are you running a wider than stock track width in the front in order to achieve this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts