Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a NEW turn signal switch for my wagon. I called a few parts stores in town and asked them if they carried it, the first one said my computer only goes back to 68! :mad: The next one said they had only one left, and it was $164.00!!!!!!!!! :eek: What the heck makes it worth that much? Is it gold or platinum plated!?!?!?!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
What is the wagon?

yr make model?

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, it is a 65 chevy II

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
NAPA list this part for 139.00

ECH
DL6173

have to understand, the part is not a hot mover. So price will be higher. And most of these company's have gotten in this classic car pricing kick!!!

Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
they also have a repair kit,
ECH
DL6121 35.00!

Al

·
Registered
996 Posts
is that installed? :turn:
i'd mount a 3 way switch in my dash before i'd pay that much for a turn signal switch.

as a matter of fact the switch in my 65 is broken so i think i'll be picking up a 3 way switch next time i'm at the parts store.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Also give Walt a call he usually has everything!

Classic Nova & Performance LLC stocks turn signal switches & cancel cams for your 1962-1976 Chevy II/Nova Our turn signal switches made to meet or exceed OE specifications, with correct color coding, and correct plugs for that original factory fit. No more wiring adapters!! We also stock the correct cancel cams for those applications. And don't worry, we can get replacement switches & cancel cams for most Classic or Musclecar applications. If you don't see what you need, give us a call. We'll be more than happy to assist you

-Justin

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Problem is...it ain't just a 3 way switch. It's actually pretty complicated.

The turn signal lights are also the brake lights in the back, and the running lights in the front.

When it's not being a turn signal, the front running lights are connected to the headlight switch, and the rear lights are connected to the brakelight switch.

When you have the turn signal on to the left, the right front running light stays connected to the headlight switch, and the left front running light gets connected to the blinker. In the back, the right rear light stays connected to the brakelight switch, and the left rear light gets connected to the blinker.

When you have the right signal on...the above has to get reversed.

And it has a cam and a cancel mechanism in it.

It basically has to switch four lights independently in three different configurations.

I'm not saying $160 isn't a lot of money, but...there's a lot more going on than you'd expect.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chevy2Only Lists it for $69.95.

Part #38002 1964-1965
TURN SIGNAL SWITCH
2ND PRODUCTION WITH CANCEL CAM & BEARING

·
Registered
996 Posts
Problem is...it ain't just a 3 way switch. It's actually pretty complicated.

The turn signal lights are also the brake lights in the back, and the running lights in the front.

When it's not being a turn signal, the front running lights are connected to the headlight switch, and the rear lights are connected to the brakelight switch.

When you have the turn signal on to the left, the right front running light stays connected to the headlight switch, and the left front running light gets connected to the blinker. In the back, the right rear light stays connected to the brakelight switch, and the left rear light gets connected to the blinker.

When you have the right signal on...the above has to get reversed.

And it has a cam and a cancel mechanism in it.

It basically has to switch four lights independently in three different configurations.

I'm not saying $160 isn't a lot of money, but...there's a lot more going on than you'd expect.
it's not a 3 way switch, but you can set it up with a 3way switch. i've done it a bunch of times on race cars

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 2 of

the wrong switches I bought one from classic industries for my 63 and it was the wrong one then just recently one from yearone that was also supposed to be for my car and it was the wrong one again I don't know what else to do with this 1st design,2nd design the all seem to be the wrong design,LOL I paid a hundred from Yearone.and the one from classic they don't return after 30 days and it was to late by the time I got a chance to match it up after the snow melted.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Look up information on a company called Shee Mar out of Longmont CO, they supply some of the vendors mentioned. That where I got mine when it broke. $78

·
Registered
3 Posts
$$$ turn signal switch ..

hi, i just got my 66 turn signal switch from UPS today. I ordered it from 'Chevy 2 Only'. Their phone # is (502)239-8487. mine was $80 but there is another one for $100. Their part numbers are 38004 or 38005 depending on what Your old one looks like. The part should either have 'Guide or BPS' stamped on it. this will determine which switch You need. hope this helps, Woof

·
Registered
847 Posts
switch

i believe the switches are the same between early 70s GM vans and the 67 and down columns. Don't take my word for gold.:eek: Looks like someone should make a trip to the junkyard.:yes:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not to take over the thread or anything but have any of you experienced a similar problem? My problem is that the cable that moves the switch slides from the clamp without actually moving it. Usually only the front light works. If I slide the switch with my hand all lights work perfectly. I have tried two switches and have had the same problem. In case your not familiar with the 62 switch there's a cable that runs from the turn signal lever down the column and clicks into a clamp on the switch. :confused: I have tried starting a thread to get this question answered but have had no luck. Can anyone offer a solution?

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
I need to buy a NEW turn signal switch for my wagon. I called a few parts stores in town and asked them if they carried it, the first one said my computer only goes back to 68! :mad: The next one said they had only one left, and it was $164.00!!!!!!!!! :eek: What the heck makes it worth that much? Is it gold or platinum plated!?!?!?!:rolleyes:
For this amount of money I'd rather buy an orangutan.... "Left turn Clyde". :yes:

All this is optional in NC.... given the recent change to no inspections for antique vehicles. All of the azzbags in their new SUVs don't bother to use them anyways..... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Tim

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Get the Delco unit

I just went through this on my 64 (I have the 64/65 switch). You get what you pay for. The repop ones are sub par and won't last long.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts