Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a thread recently that i cured my overheating by fitting a mechanical fan, with the 160deg thermostat fitted it shows between 155-165 in all conditions,this seems a bit cool for continued use, i'm guessing the fan clutch isn't even locking in yet, in fact it's that efficient i reckon i can run it at the temp that i want it to,

this is the way i see it, drag racers like to leave the line with a cooler motor that makes more power (160?)

on a street car a warmer running engine is preferred (around 180+?) giving more efficient running with lower emmisions, and also as the oil is warmer it's protecting the engine better which i,m more concerned about, i've also noticed at colder running the oil pressure's gained 2-3lb,

my 66 is 99% street use so whats best, 160 or 180?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
155-160° is too cold for a street car, IMHO.
A 180° thermostat would be a good choice.

You want to make sure the oil is getting warm enough to evaporate off any water that is in the oil (condensation build up).
I highly doubt you'd notice any change in HP going from a 160 to a 180 thermostat on a street car anyway.

·
Banned
726 Posts
This is proven time and time again on Dyno's.
Engines tend to make more hp when the engine is at an optimal operating temp (generally 180).

On our race cars we run no thermostat and the fan runs constant. The car rolls into the water box at 165 and is staged at 180. At the end of the run, the engine is 195 and by the time its back to the pits is back below 165.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, i knew i could rely on you guys for the info i needed,

looks like i'm out to fit the 180 stat tonight.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here in Florida is so darn hot I run 160s in my small blocks. If I lived in a cooler less humid area I too would run 180s. I have never, knock on wood, had an issue running them but I do agree with the other posters in that there is more hp at the higher temp. My 32 hoodless three window with a 383 runs 160 - 165 on the highway.

Good luck with your.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just came in from the garage, 180 stat fitted, left the motor idling at 1000rpm for 20-30 mins, temp stayed at 175deg,but it's fairly cool over here in the mid 60s.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow... how cheap is gas over there ?
the regular (95 octane) around $8.5 a gallon, our gallon is measured larger at 4.55 litres,

the premium gas,which i run (97 octane) around $9.00 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

oh and nitrous at over $10 a pound!!!!!!!!:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts