Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have any luck with 15x8 n 5"bs in the back? Im running 15x8 4.5bs the passenger tire is really close to the 1/4 lip even with them rolled. I really dont want to go with a smaller tire so mayb the 5"bs would work? Thanks

Sean

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I had about 4 7/8" backspace and had to move the shock mount--since the mount was already on the slapper bar, I just drilled another hole.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am running 15x8 Weld rims in the back with 5.5" bs. My tires are 245/60 with no issues at all. If I were to go with 275/60-15's I would have to use a 1/4" spacer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I also run 8inch Welds with 5.5 inch BS and a MT 28x12.5 street tire. The lips are rolled, no rubbing but I did have to move the shock inboard.
Hope this helps,

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
On my '72 I have 255/60-15 MT ET street radials on 15 x 8 x 5.5 BS Weld Draglites. I had to cut the dust covers off the shocks otherwise they fit well. With this size tire I could have went to 4.5 BS and been fine too, but for my car 5" backspacing is perfect. I already had the rims with a 5-1/2 BS so that's what I used. If I jumped up to 275/60-15 I would need spacers or need to change rims to 5" BS.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
And another thing for the Nova people out there looking to change tires here is a word of advice........

Back when I measured for my rims I measured and measured twice, probably three times around. The problem was I only measured one side of the car. What is typical on leaf spring Novas and others similar sprung rearend GM cars are the rubber bushings can move in the leaf spring eye and offset the rear. This is fine from a functional perspective, however I only checked one side, purchased rims and found out the other side rubbed. I had to put a spacer on the side I DID NOT check. I have since centered the rearend and everyting is fine. Check both sides! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Ironman said:
And another thing for the Nova people out there looking to change tires here is a word of advice........

Back when I measured for my rims I measured and measured twice, probably three times around. The problem was I only measured one side of the car. What is typical on leaf spring Novas and others similar sprung rearend GM cars are the rubber bushings can move in the leaf spring eye and offset the rear. This is fine from a functional perspective, however I only checked one side, purchased rims and found out the other side rubbed. I had to put a spacer on the side I DID NOT check. I have since centered the rearend and everyting is fine. Check both sides! Good luck!

excellent point!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys.. I have corvette rally's on the nova and i already have the 15x8 4.5bs and they also list a 15x8 5bs. Would i better off going to the 5bs and cutting the dust covers off the shocks or go to a 255/60 tire? I think it would cost the same both ways. I really like the 275/60 look. How would i go about moving the shocks inward? The CE shock member? I have CE traction bars if that helps..

Sean

·
Registered
86 Posts
Performanceonline.com has a complete shock relocation kit that I purchased for around $225.00 including shocks. It moves the shocks inboard and is completely a bolt on kit. A couple of minor modifications and everything went in very easily. I don't particularly care for the shocks they supplied, but some adjustable QA1's are on order.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For those that need a Special backspacing,Wheel Works on RT130 in Burlington NJ does a excellent job.I had some Corvette Ralley rims and just this week Cragar SS mags.Tim Smith the owner is excellent to deal with,reasonable prices and pretty quick turn around time...Dan

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
1968NovaSS3964sp said:
For those that need a Special backspacing,Wheel Works on RT130 in Burlington NJ does a excellent job.I had some Corvette Ralley rims and just this week Cragar SS mags.Tim Smith the owner is excellent to deal with,reasonable prices and pretty quick turn around time...Dan

When you say reasonable price...what should one expect to pay? I need to get some TT II's fixed. I assume he does alum too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
$90.00 per rim on the Cragars.Yes he does aluminum,in fact any wheel,car ,motorcycles,etc.Tim Smith has been doing this for a long time.He's into Street Rods and motorcycles...Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts