Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS
951 Posts
Good eye!!! I don’t think they’re og either but regardless.....they’re cool. The only problem is finding a wide meat tire for them:cool:

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder why the seller says these are "one year only" wheels (as if he has some sort of insede info) when it is pretty obvious that they have been welded/modified??

Yeah, people lie all the time about stuff they sell, but this seems a little odd to me. What leads him (or her) to believe these wheels were only offered in 1969? On what cars? Ive been playing with musclecars (Nova, Camaro, Chevelle) for around 40 years and havent heard about any 14x8 rallies.

Have any of you guys ever heard of these wheels??

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im guessing these wheels started out as 14x6 and widened 2 inches. The 2" section was of a different type of steel or wasnt protected because it shows much more rust than the other parts of the wheel.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
He may not be lying just misinformed. The stamped codes on the wheel might be indicating that they are unique to a specific year or application but then interpreting that code to the width as part of the codes meaning probably is inaccurately applied assumption.. Similar to engine identification suffix codes.
Most of them show up in the usual ID databases and then you come up with an engine that has a suffix code that does not show up anywhere. Then people make assumption about what they are looking at. Maybe those wheels were off of a 69 Camaro Z28 302ci 4speed homologated production car. That would be a pretty rare car and could make them a one year only application based on their stampings if we were to make our own assumptions. Did they leave the factory 8” wide..? Me thinks not..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen original 14x6, 14x7, 15x6, 15x7, & 15x8 but never any 14x8. Not saying they were never made, but I've never seen nor heard of 14x8 rallies (or that size in any other style OEM wheel) in all of my years messing with and reading about 60's/70's Chevy muscle cars.

I realize one can order new rally wheels from various suppliers in a variety of sizes/offsets (including 14x8) but the ones advertised above are purported to be OEM, one year only, from the factory Rally wheels. If such an animal does exist, I would like to see some supporting evidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts