Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting a mini blower on my '67 and am looking for advice, plus, minus, etc. I'm running a mild 283 right now and am planning on putting the blower on it.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
We need to know a lot more that it's a 283. How much compression are you running you need to be around 8:1-9:1 what cam. Get a Blower cam. How much Boost do you plain on running. They are nice Blowers just not as nice as some of the newer ones out there like Magnes or Whipple.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
compression is 8:1 with camel hump heads 194 valves. I'm not real sure what cam I have. Headman headers, 1' 1/2 tubes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
142/144 superchargers are extremely effective on smaller displacement engines. A 283 with one of these superchargers will be a lot of fun to drive and still offer decent efficiency. You don't have to spin the supercharger as fast to achieve a given boost level on a smaller displacement engine. This increases the adiabatic efficiency of the supercharger, which means that you're heating the air less per pound of boost. This allows you to run an effectively higher static compression ratio with boost while still maintaining lower octane tolerance. Your engine should easily tolerate 8 - 10 PSI of boost on 91 octane fuel. While a supercharger-specific cam grind will help maximize the performance potential of your combination, you don't absolutely have to change the camshaft. Any cam that is ground on a 110-degree or wider lobe separation angle will realistically work with your combination.

Most 283's did not use a bolt to retain the harmonic damper to the snout of the crankshaft. They typically use a unique press-fit harmonic damper that has a specific interference angle machined into the snout and the damper hub. Being that the supercharger will increase the load on the damper and crank snout, it will be a good idea to drill and tap the snout of the crankshaft for a retaining bolt. This bolt is provided with the supercharger kit. The thread size is 7/16"-20.

You'll need to make sure that your fuel system and ignition system are both up to the task of handling the increased power output generated by the supercharger. I suggest a good quality 110 GPH or 130 GPH mechanical fuel pump, 3/8" fuel line, 3/8" fuel pick-up in the tank, high voltage ignition coil, and a good quality electronic distributor with the mechanical advance limited to about 30 degrees of total timing. A CD ignition box such as an MSD 6AL, 6BTM or Mallory 685 unit is a nice upgrade, but definitely is not absolutely necessary for this combination.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome

Thank you so much for the information! That is exactly what I was looking for. :yes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
You're welcome. Keep us updated on how the project goes. You will not regret installing a supercharger! If it's within your budget take a look at the kits from Magnacharger also. They're very efficient superchargers.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I HAVE THAT BLOWER BY B&M AND I ENJOYED IT WHEN I LAST DROVE IT! A DEFINITE PERFORMANCE UPGRADE FOR THAT 283. I GOT A BLOWER CAM, BLOWER CARB AT AROUND 9:1 COMPRESSION @ 10 LBS OF BOOST! GOT SOME NICE PONY POWER FROM IT! :cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also forgot to mention... if you're using a Holley carburetor or equivalent (QFT, BG, Demon, etc.), then you'll want to boost reference the power valve on the primary side of the carburetor (or both power valves if using one on the secondary side also). This is a very simple process that can be achieved with simple tools in the garage. I can take some pictures of a carb that I built recently that will show you how to perform this modification once you get to that point.

If you're using an AFB or AVS-style carburetor (Edelbrock, Carter) or a Quadrajet then you have no power valve to boost reference. However, some applications require increased spring tension under the metering rod pistons in order to help combat the pistons pulling downward at high RPM from the high amount of signal created by the supercharger. This can create a high speed lean condition which you definitely want to avoid with a supercharged engine. That is why I personally prefer a Holley-style carburetor for a supercharged engine... the design lends itself to superior fuel metering with simple modifications.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roger that.

I'm looking at buying a used B&M complete with intake, 750 holly and pullys. It may be a little while before I can run it because I'm in the process of restoring my car. I'm just about finished with the sheet metal and should be sending it off to get blocked out and primed before putting in a Heidts mutang 2 front end and get it rolling. The info has been extremely helpful and I'm sure I won't regret getting it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm looking at buying a used B&M complete with intake, 750 holly and pullys. It may be a little while before I can run it because I'm in the process of restoring my car. I'm just about finished with the sheet metal and should be sending it off to get blocked out and primed before putting in a Heidts mutang 2 front end and get it rolling. The info has been extremely helpful and I'm sure I won't regret getting it. Thanks guys.
If it's a Teflon-stripped unit then take a close look at the Teflon strips in the rotors. If the strips are worn out or damaged then you're going to need to send the supercharger to The Blower Shop, BDS, etc. and have it re-stripped. There's nothing wrong with having to do this... the strips are wear items, but the seller should adjust the price accordingly to be fair.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pete has nailed it with very informative info.
I have the Weiand 177 on my 355 and absolutely love it. The motor will also more than likely run a little warmer, from the added heat the blower builds. Have fun and post pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
build thread

I've got a build thread started for my car, but I haven't figured out how to transfer the thread address over to this post. I guess you could just go to my profile and look through my posts. It shouldn't be too hard as I've only started a few threads.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have a 144 on my 355 and love it. Lots of great info posted but no one has mentioned hood clearance..... have you considered that issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts