Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chasing a noise. Finally found it. It was right were the little voice in my head said it would be but I had this denial thing going on. But enough of that, on with the story.
The car started making weird bumping noise that changed with speed almost like a bad place on a tire. The crazy thing is, you could even hear it a 20 mph. It really sounded like it was at the left rear axle bearing but with the wheel and drum removed, there was no slack or leakage. And the noise wasn't there if the car was ran in gear on a lift. Add to this that the left axle and bearing only have about 6000 miles on them. It couldn't be that. Right? Wrong.
I replaced the original right axle with a GM replacement many years ago. When the left rear failed (after 30+ years of reliable service), I decided to save a few dollars. I brought an axle from a local company that make their own axles in-house. (Felt pretty smug for saving all that money too.) When I pulled the axle today, it was immediately obvious to me that they had not properly hardened the axle. There were pits and craters on one side of the surface that the bearing rides on. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for.:(
I picked up a new Superior Axle from Summit today and plan to install it early in the morning. I would have installed it tonight but it took me forever to get out of the store. Half the folks there kept insisting that axles fail for a reason and I probably need a whole new differential. (Not my first rodeo people.) Several more thought I needed to upgrade to two oversized Moser axles. (The Superior is stronger than I need at half the price of a Moser.) Some days, you just can't convince people you have a clue.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
glad to hear you got the noise tracked down...sometimes we all just have to learn to trust that little voice....well most of the times anyway:rolleyes: ....sometimes though they are just voices in your head:rolleyes: :D

·
4,534 Posts
just make sure the bearings are usa made. A few years ago they were on national back order an all you could get was made in china. I had to use 3 pairs until they were available again and all 3 sets destroyed brand new axles. The shop I used to work for had 20+ sets of bearings fail, they did not have any usa ones in stock when they went on back order so they didn't have a reserve. All because of the china bearings not being hardend on the outer shell. Some even ate through the actual housing end. We all had to eat the loss. Just make sure they say usa on the bearings, and always chenge them if the axles go bad. So many of my customers just want new axles and no bearings. It's like pulling teeth just to get them to buy all the parts to do the job right. Also if the axle does not just slide right in and you have to tap it in w/a hammer then the housing may be slighly bent and that could cause a similar problem so they were not completely wrong. Don't know how moser axles would be any better than some other aftermarket axles to avoid that kind of problem but whatever.

Miles:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts