Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've shortened a 68 Impala 12 bolt axle to fit my 66. It has a 2:73 posi carrier. What are the ratio options for this setup? I think I may need a different carrier to get a better ring and pinion ratio. I'm looking for something that will work on the freeway and in town.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is 2 series carrier, need 3 series for 3.08 to 3.73, 4 series for 4.10 to 4.88
Thats what I thought. Do you know if the springs ect from the 2 will fit the 3? Who would you recommend for the carrier? Thanks for the help. I just don't have the time to do the research right now but I can at least order the parts.

·
4,534 Posts
Yes the posi guts (spiders & spring pack ) will go in to a 3 series or 4 series case. But the new eatons use different spiders than the older ones so you will need to find an original posi case not a new style one.

Miles

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the posi guts (spiders & spring pack ) will go in to a 3 series or 4 series case. But the new eatons use different spiders than the older ones so you will need to find an original posi case not a new style one.

Miles
I'm thinking that I will just go with the Eaton setup. What do you think the 2 series carrier with ring and pinion would be worth? It looks like new and I had a local builder tell me it's not worth anything. Was he blowing sunshine up my ...... ??? I'm not looking to race the car. Just a good driver. Would you recommend the best setup for me? How do you ID the 3 series case?

·
4,534 Posts
The best way to tell what you are getting is to go by the casting number. The 2 series Chevy car posi has the casting number ED32088, the 3 series is EDB30140 and the 4 series is EDB30174. The case & gears not worth much. Someone could use a ring gear spacer to use it with the lower gears but I don't recommend using a spacer since it does weaken the diff and require routine checking of the bolts for stretch & tightness. The guts as I said will work in the other posi units so used spiders & spring pack (will be the weaker 200lb spring pack) I would say $80-100 would be fair.

Miles

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best way to tell what you are getting is to go by the casting number. The 2 series Chevy car posi has the casting number ED32088, the 3 series is EDB30140 and the 4 series is EDB30174. The case & gears not worth much. Someone could use a ring gear spacer to use it with the lower gears but I don't recommend using a spacer since it does weaken the diff and require routine checking of the bolts for stretch & tightness. The guts as I said will work in the other posi units so used spiders & spring pack (will be the weaker 200lb spring pack) I would say $80-100 would be fair.

Miles
Thanks for the info. I see these at the swapmeets but never took the time to research the differences. I have time so I'll start looking. Great info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts