Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, needs some help here. I am doing a disc brake conversion on my 70 Nova SS. I just popped off the diff cover to find what I believe to be an Eaton posi rear end:

I need to pull the axles to remove the drums. As I understand it, on a normal open rear end, I just remove the bolt, large retaining pin, then push the axles in a tad to drop the C-clips. But in this situation, I am not sure. I have not found any good instructions or videos on how to pull the axles with an Eaton Posi.

So, if anyone can explain or link me to a video or better thread that shows how to pull the axles that would be very helpful.

Also, what is the best fluid for these rear ends? I assume I might need some additive as well? The fluid was pretty muddy, so I am glad to get it changed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You pull the axles the same way.
Right, I understand everything up until the c-clips are supposed to drop out. The two springs seem to be in the way of retrieving the c-clips. Is that incorrect? Do I just need to push and fish the c-clips off the ends of the axles? This is where I am stuck. All the instructions and videos I have read says you just push the axles in the c-clips drop off, but that is not happening here...seems like those springs are in the way....

Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yes just push them in and fish the clips out with a screwdriver or magnet. I had to smack one of my axles pretty good to get it to go in far enough for the clip to come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,608 Posts
If you are doing this by yourself, you may be experiencing issues with removing the "C" clips because the axles do not stay pushed into the differential by the time you go to remove the clips. Sometimes the axle seals will push the axles back out making the removal of the "C" clips difficult.

After you remove the differential retaining pin, have an assistant push and hold the axles into the differential while you use a telescoping magnet to remove the clips. You can also try some bungy cords to help pull the axles further into the differential.

If that does not work (or you do not have assistants), you may need to try and attach a large C-clamp between the outside of your axle flange and the brake backing plate and tighten the clamp to draw the axle into the differential and hold it there while you remove the "C" clips.

Once you remove the "C" clips.... but before you remove both axles from the differential, reinstall the differential retaining pin back thru the spider gears and bolt in place. I have heard stories of the spider gears and/or thrust washers falling out it the differential if it is rotated without the axles or the differential retaining pin in place.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to get the c-clips out with a magnet, not difficult at all, just took a little turning of the clips to get them in a position where they would come out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
As RifRaf said, the spider gears and/or thrust washers can falling out it the differential. Just make sure everything is there when reinstalling parts.
I had a washer fall out some time in the middle of the night and rolled under a cart. I didn't find it till after the job was done and was cleaning up. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts