Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Are all 12 bolt housings the same as far as strength goes?
I am looking at one tomorrow off a 67 caprice. What should I be looking for?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
67 caprice center housing is the same as all other 12 bolt passenger housing. You will need to cut the length of the axle tubes, change to leaf spring brackets and decide on if you want the 11 inch drums or switch to the original 9.5 drums. (Matters on axles and end cap bearings) I just did this swap into my 68. Worked out very well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
67 caprice center housing is the same as all other 12 bolt passenger housing. You will need to cut the length of the axle tubes, change to leaf spring brackets and decide on if you want the 11 inch drums or switch to the original 9.5 drums. (Matters on axles and end cap bearings) I just did this swap into my 68. Worked out very well.
thanks. What did you end up using for caps?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I just had this done for my '63 wagon. Used the ford ends to eliminate the C-clips, With new Moser axles ran about $750. Not bad considering I picked up the differential for $75 with factory posi and 373 gears.

·
Registered
131 Posts
12 bolt rearend

i just took a impalla 12 bolt rear shortened it useing a pair of summers c-clip eleminator axles with a ford bearing (3.150 outside and 1.562 inside diamiter) that i had laying around, and it worked out fine with 215x75x15s on 15x8 ralleys. now to finnish the front with the 5 lug kit.vonbondo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts