Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 nova with a 12 bolt post. When I first got the car i did a burn out and both tires were spinning. 2 black marks on the ground. Now tonight i do a burn out and only 1 wheel spins. Is it possible for it just to stop working? No noise coming from the rear end. I lifted the rear up and spun one tire forward and the other rotates opposite. Here is the axel code i believe. Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean? Thanks in advance

Video
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cx2KVu]
IMG_7589 by pbj399, on Flickr

·
4,544 Posts
Looks like a 1971 12 bolt 3.07 open diff. (BL tells us this) Then you have the date Sept 23 (9th month, 23rd day). G means made in the Detroit gear and axle plant.

With an open differential If both wheels have equal traction it can spin both tires, if one tire has less traction then that is the side that will spin.

Miles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you sure it's a limited slip? Does it have the limited slip oil tag on it?
You would have to pop the cover to know for sure, unless someone can decode that number for you. Edit: And it looks like you got your answer.

And, yes, they can go bad.

Rob

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,931 Posts
I have a 72 nova with a 12 bolt post. When I first got the car i did a burn out and both tires were spinning. 2 black marks on the ground. Now tonight i do a burn out and only 1 wheel spins. Is it possible for it just to stop working? No noise coming from the rear end. I lifted the rear up and spun one tire forward and the other rotates opposite. Here is the axel code i believe. Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean? Thanks in advance

Your axle code IS the 1st two 'letters' -- BL
.. the rest of those numbers are the "build - date & Builder (company)
-- G -- & the last number is the ' shift ' -- 2 = 2nd shift.
All THIS info can be found over at Novaresource.org

That looks like an "open rear diff" ...

Looks like a 1971 12 bolt 3.07 open diff. (BL tells us this) Then you have the date Sept 23 (9th month, 23rd day). G means made in the Detroit gear and axle plant.

With an open differential If both wheels have equal traction it can spin both tires, if one tire has less traction then that is the side that will spin.

Miles
^^^^^^^ what Miles said ..... He KNOWS .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts