Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have searched w/o success. Somewhere I read a certain amount of axel can be cut w/o resplining. Can someone tell me how long the spline needs to be? I realize the groove for c clips will have to be recut.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Are you running a narrower housing? Why do you need to cut the axle?

I've seen people cut almost 2" off an axle with C clips. As long as it would feed into the splines of the carrier and have enough to install the C clip.... I'm sure somebody with more experience than me will be along shortly though.

FWIW strange and moser sell axles pretty cheap.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most stock Chevy "C" clip axles are tapered just before the splines. I don't think you could cut very much off the end and then regrove it for the C clip. Unless you are the machinist, it probably is cheaper to buy new stronger axles from Moser or Strange.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wanting to narrow the housing as much as possible without tubbing the 67.
I run around with a tool & die maker so cost will be minimal. Yes I can order custom axels from Moser, possibly have them shorten the ones I have, just trying to save $ to put towards something else for it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Don't understand why you would narrow the rear without installing minitubs. The wheel wells will limit the max tire you can run whether you tub or not. Without tubbing you can fit about a 235-245mm width max. Are you planning on relocating the springs inboard too or are you installing different suspension?

·
Registered
57 Posts
C-Clip eliminators would eliminate the need to cut the groove into the shortened axle. New axles would be the better choice though. RTR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wanting to run 245-60 15 on 8" ET Classic 5 or Vintage Wheel Works 5 spokes with 4 or 4.5 bs one piece wheels. I do not want 2 piece with more bs as I like the spokes recessed. That said, I should be able to achieve this by narrowing a minimal amount. If we need to move springs we will also take them in just enough to use stock gas tank.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would not cut any axle without knowing the hardening process on them. If they are the factory axles, I would not waste the effort on 50 year old fatigued axles.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would look into Dutchman Axles. They will make or cut any axle to your specs. You can get new ones or just simply have your stock ones narrowed to your specs. Moser and the other big companies wouldn’t do shorter c-clip style axles for my ford 8.8. Dutchman custom made brand new ones for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car has what appears to be a narrowed 3.42 posi Chevelle 12 bolt rear. I probably need to get it apart & see what axles are in it before deciding how to proceed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts