Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a cam with 112 lobe separation produce a good amount of vacuum to run a brake booster? I just removed my old master cylinder and would like better stopping power. Im running single piston disk up front and drums out back. Oh what the differance in bore sizes in master cylinders?
Is larger better?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
A booster will not give you better stopping power, but reduce the amount of force you foot needs to apply to the pedal when braking if everything remains constant. A MC bore that is smaller will apply more pressure with a fixed amount of input force and increase pedal travel, whereas a MC bore that is larger will apply less pressure with a fixed amount of input force and decrease pedal travel. This is assuming the only brake component changing is the MC.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
So with manual brakes the larger bore size the less pedal travel and better stopping power? Im not sure if i wanna just keep my manual brake setup or which to power. This is the one i was lookin to buy for a manual setup.http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange-Engineering/873/B3360BK/10002/-1 Anybody else have this MC?
The bore size will change the required force applied to the brakes to achieve the stopping power you need. For manual brakes I would run a 1" or 15/16" bore MC. Since you have disc/drum you will need a combination valve. This is what you need: http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/MCPVS2.htm

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, back to your question, power brakes and separation. I have a eddy rpm cam, 112* separation and power brakes. Works great. Plenty of feel, not like driving a cadillac. Oh, but wait!! The MC and booster is outta a cadillac LOL Ok, now that was with the 11" brakes. Just put on some wilwood 13" brakes. Dont know how the new calipers are gonna react to the MC. Time will tell, when I get to drive it. I do know that the wilwood cals are meant for un-boosted MCs so I made need to make a change. I dont even want a touchy brake pedal...JR

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the larger bore MC's were for 4 wheel disc brakes. It takes more pressure to push the disc pistons vs the wheel cylinders. Having the booster helps with applying pressure from the pedal, I.E you don't need quads like Mr. Universe to push on the pedal to stop the car, hence "power assist". It seems that with a MC that is for 4 wheel discs it seems that the pedal travels farther than a disc/drum or 4 wheel drum.

On a side note, that MC that is in the link I used that one with a booster and with stock disc/drum application and also put on performance ceramic metallic pads and I damn if I don't step on the brakes gently I will go thru the windshield in a hurry!!!! damn thing would stop on a dime and give you the dime back!!!

BTW what chevy application uses non power assist disc/drum?

Oh and those wilwood MC's look just like stock chrysler MC's like off a minivan???

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
IMO I would think a wider LSA would be better for power accessories, like in a EFI application. less overlap, less bleeding off cylinder pressure at low RPM's=more vacuum.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although i wish i could install those huge 13'' rotors with 4 piston calipers i just cant afford 1500+ on brakes. What i have is the basic drum to disc conversion kit with single piston calipers from CPP. I have not decided whether or not to put discs on the back. I hope i can but its all about $$. I look at it this way if i can get good stopping power with a manual brake MC ill go with that. It frees up the money spend on a brake booster to buy a line lock or stainless steel brake lines or hey even disc brakes for the rear.:yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts