Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to update my schematic and have another question. Would someone that knows about
wiring please take a look at the photo and tell me if this is how the 10SI alternator is wired? I'm
using an AAW wiring harness that seems to be already wired like this but just wanted an opinion
from you guys.

10SI - ALTERNATOR WIRING 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To answer your comment Firebird, I've already bought this alternator and I don’t think I’ll ever need any more power than what the 10SI can provide. So, I’m just going to go with this one. I’ve bookmarked your link for future reference just in case I do need to upgrade later. I do appreciate your suggestion.

When I ordered my front wiring harness from AAW I told them that I would be using the 10SI and it appears it is wired like what I have in the photo. Looking at the diagram for the old alternator, there is a brown wire that goes from the regulator and over to the ACC on the IGN switch. I was thinking that was for switched power. Now, looking at the new harness there is a brown wire, shown in the photo, that is going from the 10SI alternator and I followed it through the harness to the dash harness and it does go to the ACC on the IGN. switch. The small red wire loops inside the harness and go to the big red connector for the BAT. This splice is wrapped inside the harness. It doesn’t appear there is a diode inside the wrap as the connection from the small red wire to the large red wire reads zero (0) resistance.

I know this is a lot of hoopla about almost nothing but I want to make sure my diagram drawing is correct when I get through with it. Ok, I’m wanting your approval before I start drawing my front harness diagram. 😁

DSCN0226.JPG

·
Registered
63 SS
1,017 Posts
I also have your same set up. I burned up my alternator for connecting that white connector to the alt. I called AAW and they said that I only need to connect the larger red power wire. They explained it, I just can’t remember why they advised about not connect those two wires.

Hope this somewhat helps

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I thought the 10SI needed the exciter voltage from the ignition switch (Brown Wire) to get it started charging and
also a sense connections (Small Red wire). Now I've read there has to be a diode in the exciter path (Brown Wire) to
stop back feeding voltage to the ignition. This is starting to get very confusing. Surely somebody knows how these
alternators are wired.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, now it appears that there was some mis-communcations when I ordered my harnesses. Probably my fault. I got a dash
harness that came with the hook up for an ammeter and other gauges but maybe the front harness that was for warning bulbs.
I guess that would explain why the white connector was even there. So, if my dash is using gauges instead of bulbs, the front
harness was not suppose to have that white plug for the exciter and sense? That would make it a one wire alternator setup,
correct?

·
Registered
63 SS
1,017 Posts
Correct. If you are running regular gauges you do not need that connection. AAW must include it in their kit and you use it depending on your cluster. I’m a slow learner and was on the phone with AAW a few times before they explained it to me like I was a two year old.

When I wired my 63 it was part of the kit so I installed it and connected it. My alternator took a dump around 500 miles later. I bought a power master 10SI and was going to connect everything the same again….but luckily I read the instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope I've finally figured this out. I confirmed that my alternator was in fact a 3-wire. So, I called AAW and talked
to a technician. I explained what I was doing about drawing a new diagram of my car that has no idiot lights and
using their harnesses. I ran through the connections and he assured me that my harness was built for the 10SI
alternator and no bulbs which would be the SS and would work.

The whole thing about a diode or resistor was what was totally confusing me as it was obvious there was no diode or
resistor built into this harness. I went back, starting with the brown wire on the white connector for the alternator and
traced that brown wire through the fuse panel assembly and over to the ignition switch. There was continuity.

Here is where I finally figured out what the heck was going on. I printed out a '65 full diagram from our page here on
SNS and noticed that the wire from the fuse panel to the ignition switch had a notation that said "resistance wire" and
an arrow pointing to the brown/white wire! The brown wire changed from Brown to Brown/white at the fuse panel. The
notation was not on the diagram that I purchased which was the " 1965 Chevy II Nova WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR
THE COMPLETE CHASSIS". There was the resistor! I did the measurement again and got a reading of 9.5 ohms.
All the other wiring in the harness read around 0.5 ohms. I have a continuity beeper in my Simpson Multi-meter and
when I was doing all the tests I never paid attention to the continuity readings just the beep. I was confident that AAW
had wired the harness correctly but just couldn't figure out why there was no diode or resistor in what I was trying to do.
DUH!

It's going to be a while before I get my Nova into condition to actually test the alternator and this wiring but I'm fairly
confident this is what will work. I never knew alternators were so complicated as there are so many combinations of
how they can be wired. So my SS diagram will show this resistance wire with a note.

I hope this explanation will help someone else if they run into this situation.
Sam

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I have been running 1 wire alternators for 15 years in my nova's. I also have had volt meters in my dash. Never had a problem. Do it the simple way. "1" wire and forget it.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I don't have a 1-wire. My alternator is a 3-wire so that is what I was needing
information for. I think I've got it figured out now so the 3-wire it is. Thanks for your suggestions though. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts