Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a used posi but the guy says it's missing the ring gear and ring gear bolts. The specs are a 3:55 (39/11). Its a 28 spline. I'm just planning on running a 283 engine with these gears. Would this be a good fit for my 10 bolt and is it going to hard to find some used ring gears cause they are pretty expensive new.

·
14,589 Posts
Definitely as stated above. You must have a matched set of ring and pinion gears. You never mix gear sets.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How Used is the posi? If its a fairly low mile diff, and the price is right, grab it and toss the pinion gear in the trash... Pick up a New set of gears and a complete bearing kit and your in like Flynn!!!

·
4,545 Posts
But if you are just trying to make yours a posi then all you will need is the posi unit. That one will work if you have 3.08-4.56 gears

Miles

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's been lightly used but I really don't know. Here's some pictures. What do you guys think. Will it slip into my 10 bolt?

·
4,545 Posts
No because that's not chevy 10 bolt. No c-clip provision on that carrier. Chevy will have a straight cross pin (2 pinion spider design) that one is cross shaped (4 pinion spider design). B.O.P. would be my guess (buick, olds, pontiac)

Miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts