Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the 10 bolts not the strongest rearend in the world but i cant find a 12 bolt local for under a grand and they all need work. so i was wondering if i got a good set of gears and some moser axles do you think that it could handel my built small block and a th350 trans?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i know the 10 bolts not the strongest rearend in the world but i cant find a 12 bolt local for under a grand and they all need work. so i was wondering if i got a good set of gears and some moser axles do you think that it could handel my built small block and a th350 trans?
as long as it doesn't dead hook you're fine. if it's an 8.5 10 bolt you're even better off. a buddy on here has an 8.2 that has gone 11.0's in the 1/4 on a 125 shot of nitrous in a 3500ish pound car.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a 8.2 in my chevelle and i bang a 150 hit out the gate dead hooking on slicks. Ive only broke one axle in 6 years runing low 11's. We have put about 800 hp to a 8.5 10 bolt and it held up. Good gears and axles and you should be more than fine if its a 8.5.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
my car has gone low 11's with a 1.52 60' with an 8.2.

if it's set up right, with good parts it should take some abuse from an automatic car. I would'nt attempt with a stick or transbrake though.

but like anything....s*** happens no matter if you use an 8.2 or a Dana 60.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
8.5 torture

i had a friend give a 8.5 torture on the street with a 513 gear and a 4 speed. It sheared ring gear bolts every now and then ,, bout it

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
An 8.5 10 bolt with good axles, aftermarket gears, and a good spool or limited slip will hold that and alot more. Some argue an 8.5 10 bolt is as strong as a 2 bolt if properly built with good parts. I have an 8.5 10 bolt with moser axles, c-clip eliminators, richmond gears, and an auburn spool

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Run it till it explodes, then decide what to do. You have it now, take it out and run it and see what it does. Some of them will take a whoopin before they lay down. Just my .02.

Tiny

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
ok so you want a 10 bolt to last here is what i would do to it
weld the axle tubes to the third member as gm just pressed them on
cut off stock housing ends and install big ford ends see www.moserengineering.com
get a pair of moser custom axles 28 spline will handle the power
use a detroit locker or whatever you would like
use one of there girdles too
this is what i would do ive been told that this will take 600 to 700 hp
with slicks dead hooking

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
if it was mine ,,

if it woulda been mine , it prolly would have exploded the first pass ,, but i had a friend that put a 406 with nitrous in a 86 monte ss that i'm pretty sure had a 7.5 in it ,, it stood alot of nitrous passes until they swapped it out ,
ran low 7's in the 1/8, like 7.20's if my memory is correct

i gotta wonder if the street tires available then is why it didn't pop

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i keep seeing a bunch of posi 373 transam rearends on my local craigslist for short money like 150-200 bucks i think ill just pick up one of those and throw in some nice axles and cross my fingers. 90% of the time the cars gonna be street driven on radials anyway. ill drag it this year but i dont even know if ill run slicks

·
Registered
87 Posts
stock housing will handle 10 sec runs, friend with a camaro runs 10.80 or so with 250hp nitrous.

Of course though, upgraded moser axle/spool package with c-clip eliminator.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
have you looked at an 8.8 out of a ford? I heard they are dirt cheap, and are just as strong if not stronger than a 12 bolt.

·
Registered
549 Posts
as long as it doesn't dead hook you're fine. if it's an 8.5 10 bolt you're even better off. a buddy on here has an 8.2 that has gone 11.0's in the 1/4 on a 125 shot of nitrous in a 3500ish pound car.
I guess that would be implying me. I have the so called weak 8.2... i have richmond gears, auburn posi, superior axles, c clip eliminators. Car does 1.52-1.54 60' times and did 6.92 @100 in the 1/8 have been racing it for years this way with no problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats enuf suport for me i was just worried about the axle breaking and taking a walk out of the tube and finding the 1/4 panel of my car but with the c clip eliminators i schould be ok. so do i need special axles for the eliminators?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts