Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any 8.5" GM rearends that will fit 62-67 Novas? In that case which ones?
Thanks Matt

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
rear end

No
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
novamike said:
Not to cut in ,but,When I bought my 65 project in december it came with a ford nine inch bolted in which measures 53" backing plate to backing plate.The car also came with a 8.5 that measures 54" backing plate to backing plate.Would this 8.5 not work if he could find one ?
Just curious.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Sure they all will work, once you find someone to narrow it. Getting ready to have a couple inches taken out of my 9".

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Finding a good Chassis shop to narrow it could be the problem.

84-87 Grand National 8.5" rears seem to be the right width, but for what these rare axles are bringing, this would not be a cost effective option by the time you cut off the G-body coil spring mounts and weld on perches.

I'd love to go this route myself, but I do not know of any good local chassis shops that I'd trust to narrow a wider housing and weld the perches on correctly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't quote me on this, until i get under my truck and my blazer to make certain, but I'm pretty sure that the S-10 Blazer rearend is about that size. It is 1.5 inches wider than the rearend in an S-10 pickup. As well, these rearends already have perches on them. I was considering swapping out one of these myself, but I havn't gotten that far yet..so i have not confirmed the measurement.

·
Registered
315 Posts
FYI: Not all s-10/Blazer rears are 8.5 ten bolts. I've only seen 8.5s under 2 door stickshift blazers. Might be others out there, maybe,not sure.
I think those are close enough to make one work, if you can find one cheap enough.

Let us know what you find!

Jeff

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input,
So, you what you are saying guys, is that it would be as much work to mount an 8.5" rearand as for example a 9" unit except for brakes...

Matt

·
Registered
287 Posts
10 bolt s-10

I'll side with hot66 on this one, I was always under the impression that the s-10 shared the same diff as the camaro 82-94(7.5" 10 bolt)???. I owned both at the same time(88 IROC&87 s-10 4cyl), I thought they were identical. My 78 Malibu came with the same rear, how can you tell? The ring gear of a 8.5" will not physically fit into the pumpkin on a 7.5". One opening is more round, the other more oval. The only car to my knowledge that has the right width and a 8.5" is the GN and T-type 84-87. On a side note, I have a 9" that I got out of a 1967 Fairlane GTA, it is the correct width for my Malibu which now has a 8.5". I'll have to measure it to see what width it is, it may reside in my Acadian one day:) .

·
Registered
144 Posts
I stuck one under the old wagon one time when I couldn't find a good 8.2 axle. It's wider (I had to use stock 5in wheels) and the perches are in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
84-87 Olds 442s used 8.5" rears too. GN/442 rears are EXPENSIVE these days. A regular 10-bolt from a Monte SS or other G-body will be a real downgrade, as they all used 7.5" 10-bolts.

I wonder if diesel G-body's had 8.5" rears??:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts