Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Wondering how much work it is to convert my 10 bolt 8.2" open diff rear end to a posi? Don't want to spend to much money. It is a daily driver. I can't find any posi units online. Links would be greatly appreciated! Eaton Units are a little expensive, anything cheaper?

·
4,545 Posts
Well for a 64 you will need to upgrade axles as well due to 64 using a 1 year only axle spline angle. As far as posi options there are Eatons, Auburns & Duragrip units.

Miles

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
This is the first I heard of this 64 only axle. I put an Eaton in my 64, nine years ago, and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I think 64's have tapered axles right? FWIW I've been running an Auburn unit for years and years in my Cobra and have had zero problems.

·
4,545 Posts
It's the angle the splines are cut at. If running an aftermarket or 65-71 8.2 carrier the splines are very sloppy if using 64 axles. You will not be able to install 65-67 axles in a 64 carrier at all. Yeah I guess technically you can install a posi in a 64 using the stock axles but it will not be correct. would kind of be like running std pistons in a block bored .010 over. It will work but how well and for how long is the question. I'm sure many more will chime in about the 1 year only spline cut.

Miles

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey guys,
Wondering how much work it is to convert my 10 bolt 8.2" open diff rear end to a posi? Don't want to spend to much money. It is a daily driver. I can't find any posi units online. Links would be greatly appreciated! Eaton Units are a little expensive, anything cheaper?
Powertrax offers a locking differential that installs in place of the spider gears in the stock open carrier. This is the easiest way to convert your rear axle, and does not require extensive disassembly for installation of the Powertrax unit. Of course, the same interchange issue regarding axle spline cut would apply that JBimmolate posted.

JBimmolate - that is great information. Thank you for posting that! I learn something new every day from this site. Is there a way to easily identify 1964 axles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts