Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to the scene with the Nova/Acadian's my car has a mild/medium 350 in it with a turbo 350 tranny, the thing is it has 2.56 gears in it and that is not what I want at all. The guy built it for going on long cruise's I guess but I want to know what you guys would put in for a good off the line car that can still go on the highway without killing it? It doesn't even have Posi which is another issue but when I put the gears in I'll try to find one for it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well since your still cruising it i would go 3.23s or 3.55s to keep its manners good on the freeway i wouldnt go above 3.73s , you can but it gets a little high the freeway

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Go with a 3.55, this is a nice gear you can still drive on the e-way with and not drive you crazy, i put the original 3.31 back in my nova and it does [email protected], before it did [email protected] with 4.10's, basically speaking the gear you use reflects your rpm at highway speeds give or take a 100 rpm depending on tire diameter. but i run a 454BBC so torque isnt an issue for take off. 3.73's are the deepest i would use. but mpg will be cut in half along with drivability. As for a posi i would install a mini spool for now, they are around $100 and it works good, istalled one in my friends 408 BBC nova.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go with a 3.55, this is a nice gear you can still drive on the e-way with and not drive you crazy, i put the original 3.31 back in my nova and it does [email protected], before it did [email protected] with 4.10's, basically speaking the gear you use reflects your rpm at highway speeds give or take a 100 rpm depending on tire diameter. but i run a 454BBC so torque isnt an issue for take off. 3.73's are the deepest i would use. but mpg will be cut in half along with drivability. As for a posi i would install a mini spool for now, they are around $100 and it works good, istalled one in my friends 408 BBC nova.
How does the mini spool work, is it like limited slip or a cheaper option to posi? Anyways thanks for the info I need as much help as possible with this.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
How does the mini spool work, is it like limited slip or a cheaper option to posi? Anyways thanks for the info I need as much help as possible with this.
a mini spool is not good for the street it locks both drive axles together so when you turn a corner both tires turn the same not in different revolutions
if it was me i would do the "powertraxxs thing by richmond gear good bang for the buck

part# 754-92-0782-2805 available at www.jegs.com

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
What ire diameter are you running? Depending on tire is what should help with gear selection. If your running a 26" tal tire i would stay around a 3.30 ish and any taller go with the 3.55

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah those 2.56 gears can make a car feel like a slug off the line. I've got a gear set like that in my 55 chevy. It has a 3 deuce carbed 327 V8 with a TH350 automatic and 14" rims on a 75 series tire..I've got a 10 bolt rear out of a 67-69 Camaro in it. I can be crusing on the hwy at about 60-65 mph at 1800-2000 rpm. Great on the hwy or interstate but sucks around town. I'm thinking about changing it out to somthing different, but it gets such good milage for what it is.
I wouldn't run anything more than a 3.23 - 3.55.
What about your cam type and converter stall speed? I think those affect things too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeha the tires are 205/70/r14 they are about 24.5" diameter little pizza cutters, it does feel like a slug off the line, same thing doing about 100k(65mph) I'm turning about 2000rpm give or take a little. I just don't want it to feel so slow off the line. My dad has a 67 Coronet with 4.10s in it and a 4 speed but on the highway its just running to high for what I want.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My 67 Chevelle is quite the opposite from my 55 Chevy.
It has a 283 V8 with powerglide with 14" rims on 75 series tires.
I'm not sure of the gear ratio, but it runs at 3000 rpm at 60 mph.
Great around town and off the line but the high revs on the hwy are quite noticable.

The best solution is to run a TH200 4R overdrive trans with somthing like a 3.73 gear and get the best of both worlds. If you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Just changing to a 3.08 would feel better, but I'd stick with a 3.55. that'll buzz the rpm a little on the highway, but nothimg unliveable.

·
4,534 Posts
3.36 or 3.55 would be your best bet.

Miles

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Nova # 2 had a 350hp 327cid, Powerglide and a 3:08 rear, it cruised on the frywy nice and topped out at 150mph. other than off the line this thing was fast!

Nova #5 has an LT1 @ 450hp, Turbo 400 and a 2" from stock narrowed GM 10 Bolt with 12 bolt guts, a Auburn posi with a 2:76 ratio, its being set up for Open Road Racing to cruise at an average speed of 150mph, this will be very quick, road worthy and on pump gas.
http://www.openroadracing.com/ .

This might help you a little: http://www.csgnetwork.com/gearratcalc.html

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would you guys recommend the eaton posi over an auburn?
Thanks guys I'm starting to get an idea of where I'm supposed to be on this, I just can't wait to change them out so it has some snap.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
im running an auburn PRO SERIES posi in my rear and i like it some guys will disagree its all prefrence i guess i may go with a detroit locker soon though :yes:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to the scene with the Nova/Acadian's my car has a mild/medium 350 in it with a turbo 350 tranny, the thing is it has 2.56 gears in it and that is not what I want at all. The guy built it for going on long cruise's I guess but I want to know what you guys would put in for a good off the line car that can still go on the highway without killing it? It doesn't even have Posi which is another issue but when I put the gears in I'll try to find one for it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
I would do 3.23's or 3.36's.I have 3.36's in my and it cruises 70-75 mph right around 3000rpms.bm

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Would you guys recommend the eaton posi over an auburn?
Thanks guys I'm starting to get an idea of where I'm supposed to be on this, I just can't wait to change them out so it has some snap.
eaton is rebuildable.bm

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hoped it all helps, did my calculations and at 2450rpm i'll be at 70mph, at 5250 rpm i'll be at 150mph, also in the future i'll put in a lower first gear on the trans for takeoff, all kinds of options, thing is if you have enough torque it won't matter much in a 2700lb car.
Your Auburn is rebuildable too, find the right shop or do it yourself. http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ytff1-yff3&p=auburn posi rebuild&ei=UTF-8&type=

1 - 19 of 19 Posts