Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to tell the difference between an 8.2 and an 8.5 posi carrier?
With all the swap meets out there a lot of the carriers are just sitting on a table or the ground.Would there be a sure way to tell by looking for casting numbers and where would be a good reference chart? Also can you determine if the posi unit is damaged and what would be a fair price for a used unit?
I am intrested in a rebuild of my 10 bolt but being new at this it seems a good start is to ask a lot of questions.
Thanks Paul

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi Paul,

If there is still a ring gear bolted to the carrier, take a look at the size of the bolt heads. If not, look at the size of the threaded holes for those bolts.

The 8.5" 10-bolts use 7/16" left-hand thread bolts. The heads take an 11/16" wrench/socket.

I believe the 8.2" 10-bolts use slightly smaller 3/8" bolts that take a 9/16" wrench/socket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Ray,
I guess a good idea would be to carry one of each size bolts and try them at the swaps, being that 3/8"thd and 7/16"thd are so close it would be difficult to determine the actual size by eye.
Thanks Paul

·
4,534 Posts
the difference in posi's

8.2 will have the 4 small springs the 8.5 will have an S shaped spring.
this is going off of stock units

miles:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but i figured id ask here instead of opening a new thread. I have an 8.5 10 bolt but my ring gear bolts take a 3/4 wrench on them instead of an 11/16 like i read here and other places. what does this mean?

·
Registered
130 Posts
10 bolt

I have the same as mike, according to this thread its posted that the bolts have a 11/16 head, mine are also 3/4 , all the other casting marks and cover size matches the post, any input from the Guru's out there? 72 nova stock with an l6, soon to be different lol

·
4,534 Posts
3/4" bolt heads are the right size for 8.5.

Miles

·
Registered
130 Posts
10 bolt

OK, feelin a lil stupid, further research and pulling the carrier its a 8.5, the 3/4 head is an industry standard "heavy" as they call it,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts