Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the old...old style Delcotron altenator with the external regulator that mounts on the radiator core support on the drivers side. I would love to convert it to a 1-wire altenator, for the reason is, that I'm running a MSD digital 6 ignition, Barry Grant HR220 fuel pump and a electric fan and I'm thinking of possibly buying a CSR electric water pump. I'm begining to think that my current alt. won't be putting out enough amps to support all the electical load that the car is going to want. What do I have to do the electrical system in order to wire up a 1-wire alt.? Plus, it would be really nice to get rid of that rats nest of wires under my hood.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got a one-wire, they look great. Just be aware it requires more rpm to energize it. That means if your stuck in cruise traffic or idling a long time it will drain your battery. This happened to me at one of the big local cruises.

You can find high amp, 130 or so, that should supply your needs.

Hope this helps,

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
They only need to be energized each time you start your engine, after that your fine, you can idle as much as you want w/o problems. I run a power master 100 amp that energizes at a very low rpm, no problems for the last 3 years.
Tg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, but I need to know what I have to do to convert it to a 1-wire system. Like, what wires I can takeout/cut off, replace some with bigger and/or something like that is what I need.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I just installed a 94A 12SI junkyard $13 alternator on my '65 last weekend. Read the stuff on Mad Electrical... he does a good job about explaining why 3-wire is better than one wire, and really no harder to hook up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts