Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 194 in a 63 chevy ii that has a rochester 1 bbl.I took it apart today and bought a rebuild kit and installed it.When i tried to crank it gas was coming from the bottom of the carb from tne accelarator pump,it was also still dumping gas in the carb.Please tell me how to correct this i have tried several different things and nothing seems to work.

· Registered
291 Posts
It sounds like maybe you need to re-check the float level adjustment. It controls the level of the fuel in the carburetor. It's like the float in your toilet tank. If it was set wrong it might overflow on the floor:eek:

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeah like stan said. The float is either out of adjustment or it is sticking open. Sometimes lightly tapping the carb body with a small soft head ( like brass or rubber) hammer will work the float loose so that it will close the inlet valve properly when the fuel bowl is full.
Or the float might be bad. Did you check it when you had the carb tore down durring rebuild? Sometimes they develop internal leaks from a pin hole or small crack and fill up with fuel so that they don't "float" like they should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.