Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I been screwing around with this carb for a week now.
Rochester BV on my 63 230 in my Chevy II
I put a kit in it and I cannot get it to stop leaking at the filter inlet.
I am on my 3rd fuel line, doubled the gaskets on the screw filter housing and Im still getting a drip. Im wondering now if there isn't a crack somewhere.
Also read about these being notorious for the bodies warping and not sealing too.
What are some options on a replacement or a stock alternative? Want to stay with the one Barrel if I can find something.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Ok I been screwing around with this carb for a week now.
Rochester BV on my 63 230 in my Chevy II
I put a kit in it and I cannot get it to stop leaking at the filter inlet.
I am on my 3rd fuel line, doubled the gaskets on the screw filter housing and Im still getting a drip. Im wondering now if there isn't a crack somewhere.
Also read about these being notorious for the bodies warping and not sealing too.
What are some options on a replacement or a stock alternative? Want to stay with the one Barrel if I can find something.
did you try a double wrap of Teflon tape on threads? just a thought,it has worked for me.

·
3,121 Posts
I'd stay with the original. You most likely have a cracked or warped body, so it's time to find a good core for a rebuild.

There are a LOT of options, including:

-1bbl Holley or Carter YF from a Mopar slant 6 (I've seen them on a Nova 6)
-Weber
-Rochester 2 bbl
-Holley 2bbl

Or there are bunch of aftermarket one-barrels that are universal fit, like:

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Universal-1-Barrel-Carburetor_b_14.html

Rock Auto sells a bunch of rebuilt BV carbs, but they seem like a LOT of money for a rebuilt carb.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'd stay with the original. You most likely have a cracked or warped body, so it's time to find a good core for a rebuild.

There are a LOT of options, including:

-1bbl Holley or Carter YF from a Mopar slant 6 (I've seen them on a Nova 6)
-Weber
-Rochester 2 bbl
-Holley 2bbl

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Universal-1-Barrel-Carburetor_b_14.html

John ...

If you remove u'r 1bbl carb ---- I bet u'r going to find that area (where you screw-in your carb / fuel line ,
into u'r carb) --- that housing will be "cracked" .
I did crack mine back a long-time-ago --- then, it leaks gas "right onto your exhaust manifold" --- not good .

I agree with Frank (AllyMcReal) -- find another carb . They made ALOT of those GM Rochesters -- 1bbl carbs. Start looking around ====

Don't Drive Your Car With GAS LEAKING …. NOT WORTH - IT !

jim

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
John

I just now went over to this site , and, looked at their " Rebuilt 1bbl Carbs " .

Sure worth going over there and ' Read Some of their Carb Info ' ..

just trying too help out .

plus , a good site too " save " ------------------ jim

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Ok .... I found the ' site , that I had ..... just more 1bbl carb info . go down & read the == Carb Adjustment info .
Kinda high $$$$ ... but, still good info .............. see if this works :

Then, go back to their "Home Page" and they list a different Price :
Home page, click on Chevrolet - then, Rochester carb - then -look at those pictures -
one price is $ 224 --- one price is $ 315 --- same carb (you'd have too call them ?

later, jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I seen Rock Auto has them for 120 buck plus a refundable core charge of 80 bucks.
My local Auto zone, Oriellys are around 200 PLUS the core charge

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have two sitting on stock motors that were running at the time of being pulled But they both have been sitting in doors on stands for a few yrs. So would more then likely need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im just trying to find one that isn't warped and leak issues. The one I put a kit in leaks around the bowl gasket.
I bought one from ROCK AUTO, it came today and it leaks around the bowl gasket. They say it was bench tested... how do you bench test a carb?

·
3,121 Posts
Actually, there are some carburetor rebuilders who bench test them for full functionality. I know of one local shop that puts the carb on a fixture and runs fuel to it and pulls air through the carb from the throttle body. They have several test mule engines on which to run the carb as well. They are located in El Monte, CA. But if your engine is otherwise sound for compression and spark, then the best test run is on your own mill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts