Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just go back from the ADRL event in Saint Louis MO. Those guys showed me a new side of 1/8th mile drag racing. Pro Mod racing is AWSOME! I was there with a pro nitrous team. 4 fogger systems on a 540 ci motor. The other class was Pro Extreme and as far as I could tell, there were not rules relating to motor. The only rule was no Nitro. Wild watching a car with doors do a 3.95 sec 1/8th mile pass. Several novas in the field!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If your going fast enough, the 1/8 isn't too bad. When Irwindale first opened, I was thinking--BORING--but now that I've been running there so long, I really like it. If you have a car that runs 100+ in the 1/8, it's still pretty exciting. With the little 350 in the car now, I'm down 26 mph from my normal runs, so it's not as much fun. And the people in the stands are a little disappointed--they're used to big wheelstands now, and it ain't gonna happen with this combo. I guess it's time to put the good motor back together!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I always ran 1/4 mile so when I moved to SC and they all run 1/8 mile I sold my car rather than run 1/8 mi. Got bored, built another car back in 1987 and I love 1/8 mile racing now. It pays better money than the 1/4 mi tracks, is easier on parts, uses less fuel, and goes along faster so there's less waiting time. We can go run Moorseville with over 200 pro cars and buy backs 2 rounds and be done about midnight. Go to Norwalk and spend 2 days running a normal program and the purse is less also.........but the guys keep going back every week. You have to be on your game running 1/8 mi cause there is little time to sit back and watch for the other guy and decide what you plan to do. I go back to Ohio and run 1/4 mi and it seems so weird to be able to find and watch the competition riding in high gear with the car all settled down. In a 1/8 mi race the car never gets settled down real good and you only get a glance at the other guy before it's over. You very much have to race your game and let the other guy try and do it better on a short track. I like it now. RM

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Mike, what ET are you running with your backup beater 350?
Well, the first pass with the Demon carb(way too big) it went 8.32/80mph.
Then I tried leaving on the trans-brake--no good--8.39/79mph; then I took a buddy on a pass-8.50/78mph whee!!
This week with the Edelbrock carb. I made one pass where I totally screwed up the burnout(radials picked up water in tread) and spun to an 8.40/81mph.
I'm hearing some peculiar noises from the 350, so I might yank it back out--it has real good oil pressure, but once in a while there is a squeal like a dry bearing coming from somewhere; it has me puzzled--when it squeals it has a bit of a misfire, then quiets down and is fine. Gee, maybe I should have changed the oil that was in the engine when we pulled it out of the Chevelle!
It did sit out in the rain for a few months!! Hmmmmm.................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts