Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reset the record in the hard street radial class yesterday at Coles County Dragway. Tires are 275-60 -15 Mastercraft Avengers with a 420 treadwear rating. 6.82 @103.5 in the eighth - All motor, no bottle! 1.56 60' is also the fastest in the class so far.

Scott

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is very good to put it mildly. Is this possible with other brands of tires?

Is there any prep that helps the hook of a street radial? There was a similar class a few years back at a local strip and a lot of tricks were tried such as coating with softners, trimming the thread, and different width rims. Nothing made much difference.

Since I have seen some things tried with little success, I am very impressed with the 60 ft. I would think a glide with a little too much cam might help traction, but your numbers don't reflect any sluggishness anywhere.

Very impressive.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
thats awesome even with " radial " tires there is a mustang that runs in a class out here in ca it runs low 11s ( 11.10-11.02 in the 1/4 ) on true street tires ........ the class is called " true street challenge " check it out www.pscaracing.com...... pretty cool class in my opinion ........... oh and the mustang runs low 9s on slicks he also runs in a different class too :devil:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a turbo 350 w/5500 stall ptc converter and 4.57 gears in the rearend.suspension is monoleafs wirh cal tracs, and I just added a class III hitch for ballast, and I've worked at removing a lot of weight from the nose, and mounting everything in the car as far to the rear as I can. 10" wheels and 15 psi are what my car seems to like, and no softening was done, as rules don't allow it. I launch from about 2500 and roll into the throttle (takes lots of practice) over about the first 40-60' to full throttle. I do usually get some wheelspin thru a good part of second gear, but I have the best luck just holdin'er to the mat and driving thru it rather than lifting. A little scary, but lots of fun!

Scott

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fading away thing is a problem for us as well, it seems like the faster we go, the smaller the car count gets.

Scott

·
Registered
67 Posts
with the new track owners
(neil chance racing converters)
they are getting more into the king of the street races here so its coming back around

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Very impressive. Do you run one of those "adjustable" MSD boxes that's popular with those 10.5 guys?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
What exactly is the CLASS?

Weight?
Hp?

Al

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Haven't got to the track to get numbers but my firestone firehawk indy 500's are real soft and sticky for a $85 all weather street radial and offer the widest tread width, those with my traction links and a full tank of fuel and my 80lbs rear bumper makes it very hard to spin tires with a 454. Ballest weight is key.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very impressive. Do you run one of those "adjustable" MSD boxes that's popular with those 10.5 guys?
No, I don't. I do it the hard way, cross my fingers and just drive it out easy, no programmable rev limiters or timing retards at all.

Scott

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What exactly is the CLASS?

Weight?
Hp?

Al
Here's the rules for ya Al,

Heads Up Street Radial Tire Racing!

Hoch's Garage is proud to sponsor the Hokes Street Radial heads up class contested at

Coles County Dragway USA.

Class Rules are as follows:
1. License plate and insurance required
2. Mufflers are mandatory
3. 1940 and newer cars and trucks allowed
4. Must be front wheel drive, or rear wheel drive...NO all wheel drive allowed
5. Factory or aftermarket traction controlled device not allowed (must be un-hooked)
6. Bolt on traction devices only (no ladder bars or 4 links allowed)
7. Original rear springs can be moved in for tire clearance. Rear frame can be notched
or moved in. Must retain lateral spring and front control arm placement.
8. No wheelie bars permitted
9. Front suspension must retain stock type front springs (no coilovers). Front subframes,
crossmembers, and tubular control arms are allowed.
10. Any power adders are allowed. Motor need not be same manufacture as body.
11. Tires must be no larger than 295/50-40/15-16-17-18 or 275/60-50-40/15-16-17-18. No drag radials or any other traction advantage tires (NO soft compounds) Tire tread wear must be 400 or larger.

Our track does not have scales, so they don't worry about weight. My car is about 3400 with me in it, and HP is unknown, never had it on a dyno. It's just a fun class for the local street car guys, not a big deal professional thing.

Scott

·
Registered
247 Posts
That would be a fun class. I might even consider participating if we had one around here. I always heard radial tires hooked better driving around the water box, minimal dry burnouts and full pressure ( 35 ) psi. Is that correct? Does the sticky on the track help with traction? I may have to go to test and tune one Friday night and give it a try.

Scott

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be a fun class. I might even consider participating if we had one around here. I always heard radial tires hooked better driving around the water box, minimal dry burnouts and full pressure ( 35 ) psi. Is that correct? Does the sticky on the track help with traction? I may have to go to test and tune one Friday night and give it a try.

Scott
Yes on the no waterbox and minimal burnout, but full pressure does not work for me, best 60' times are at 15 psi for my deal, and good track prep is a big help, a lot of tracks don't prep much on "street legal" night, and that makes hooking up pretty tough. I see better results on "Bracket" race days.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts