Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as most projects go, what starts out as a few minor upgrades can very quickly turn into a full blown project. My 71' project is no exception…… It quickly got off course when I originally setout to replace the tired 350/350 combo the car was originally equipped with after I drove it daily thru High School. After it was pulled plans quickly snowballed into a Pro-Touring Inspired build on a budget…..

Here’s the car prior to tearing the front sheet metal off and yanking the 35+ year old motor & trans.

With the stock motor and trans out of the way I hit everything insight under hood w/ degreaser and a wire brush, & after pressure washing this was what I was left with.

After pulling the motor/trans I figured if I was in this far I might as well keep going, which eventually led to pulling the stock front suspension, brakes, and eventually the subframe.

With the subframe out of the way, the cracked/peeling OE seam sealer was stripped and the firewall was sanded to bare metal, cleaned, & Etch Primed to keep it from rusting while it sits awaiting more firewall updates…..

Progress is slow due to lack of funding, but I'm slowly gathering the last few parts needed to get this thing back on the road after what seems like an eternity…

I will update with pics as the project progresses and I actually start making some good progress on the car, just wanted to get an Intro thread started so I can update when time permits. It's not the most exciting, over the top build out there, but I enjoy working on it and building it into something I can be proud of.

Comments and Suggestions welcome....

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks like you started with a nice clean car, that's half the battle. Is that a forest green? Great muscle car color. By the looks of the cowl side it started life maybe as a ash gold (light green). Keep us updated with the pics and don't stop the progress, we all know how that ends up.

Mike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What color is your Nova? Looks like burnished brown.
69' Chevrolet Fathom Green, just bad lighting in the pics

It looks like you started with a nice clean car, that's half the battle. Is that a forest green? Great muscle car color. By the looks of the cowl side it started life maybe as a ash gold (light green). Keep us updated with the pics and don't stop the progress, we all know how that ends up.

Mike.

Thanks, it was a very clean 2nd owner car when I purchased it. Epitomy of a grandma car as the seller was a 95 year old lady. Had 75k on the clock and was bone stock down to the 14in Hubcaps. I have tried to keep it intact and retain as much as the orginal parts as possible even tho it isn't a super rare or valuable car. As mentioned above it is Fathom Green, I forget the name of the OE color but you may be right. It was a shade of pea green w/ a white painted roof and matching green interior. Will keep the updates coming as time permits

Thanks for the comments thus far....

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
looking good. I think NVRDUN would make a good vanity plate:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Few small updates..... The Subframe as it came out of the car.

After hitting a few spots w/ the grinder, a little clean-up, & inspection of the factory welds I hauled it off to the powdercoaters. Had it coated in semi-gloss black and am pretty happy w/ the results.

With ALOT of help from my Dad a carpenter by trade, we fabbed up a Subframe cart out of some scrap he had lying around. Makes it nice to move it around the garage as needed and partially assemble it before install into the car. With as little space as I have it helps alot...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
wow, thats a super clean car you got there! even though its not so highly optioned, its still worth a lot because its so clean and un-molested... just curious, if i gave you my email address would you send those subframe pics to me so i can see them in bigger view? thanks so much

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wow, thats a super clean car you got there! even though its not so highly optioned, its still worth a lot because its so clean and un-molested... just curious, if i gave you my email address would you send those subframe pics to me so i can see them in bigger view? thanks so much
Sure just PM me your e-mail and send you the high-res versions.

Unfortunately not much to report on the Nova, However I did receive my DSE body mounts and stainless bolt kit. Really nice pieces....

Also got a big box-o-bolts/clips/misc. cad plated. Along w/ my Touring Classics rotors....
Before:

After:

And the rotors:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
baby steps...... New Moog Inner & Outer tie rods, DSE tie rod Adjusters, GM Idler Arm, and the pair of GM 69' Camaro short steering arms I picked up off of Ebay. Sandblasted the steering arms, Centerlink and painted everything w/ either Eastwood's cast grey or chassis black, came out pretty good.

Also picked up a set of DSE 2" drop springs and 3" drop leafs for the rear to add to the parts pile. More progress and parts to come soon...

·
Registered
653 Posts
baby steps...... New Moog Inner & Outer tie rods, DSE tie rod Adjusters, GM Idler Arm, and the pair of GM 69' Camaro short steering arms I picked up off of Ebay. Sandblasted the steering arms, Centerlink and painted everything w/ either Eastwood's cast grey or chassis black, came out pretty good.

Also picked up a set of DSE 2" drop springs and 3" drop leafs for the rear to add to the parts pile. More progress and parts to come soon...
What did you pay for the short steering arms?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
car is sweet has a nice solid stance
Thanks, should be sitting even better w/ the new DSE parts once installed.

What did you pay for the short steering arms?
I bought them about a year ago for somewhere around $150 shipped. I have seen them go for several hundred $ before, so I felt pretty good about picking up a set for that price.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts