Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, I picked up a parts car Z28 with an LT1. It has a spun bearing and who knows what else wrong with it. I don’t know too much about these engines and was curious as to the compatibility with other small blocks as I have other solid engines that I could put together with the LT1 top end stuff and not mess with the spun bearing. Would this work? The factory rated specs on the LT1 are 275hp/325lbft which is decent but it is a lot of work to transplant all the EFI related components into a first gen and package nicely. On the upside, I most of the donor parts from the Z28 to do it.. This engine was backed up by a 4L60E with a B&M controller setup but I would prefer to run a T5.

What are the pros and cons..? I ask the SNS community here to chime in and offer you input.. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
For all intents and purposes, the parts in a Gen I and Gen II small blocks are not interchangeable. Some internal bits like bearings, pistons, rods, crankshaft (1-piece main), lifters, rockers, pushrods, valve springs, etc, will work in for both. The major components are unique, however.

Additionally, a T5 is not likely to survive behind a LT1. There's a reason why GM didn't put them behind V8s.

Personally, I'd stick with a Gen I small block, or move to the LSx platform. I have a couple of factory LT1 cars, but wouldn't bother putting one in a car that didn't have it originally.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The top end stuff from an LT1 - heads and intake - will not work on a gen 1 SBC. Water passages don't match up.

On the other hand the short block except for the block itself is the same as a 86 up gen 1 short block. Crank/rods/pistons/camshaft/valve train.

So if you're going to use it, you need to repair it rather than swap to a traditional block.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3rd gen V8 Camaro’s were available with T5’s. They were available in HO 305ci TPI Camaros. 350’s only got automatics. But if I’m understanding this correctly it sounds like the important bits such as the heads and intake will not transfer to a regular crate engine short block.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Lt1 blocks and heads are completely different than the gen 1 sbc. They have reverse cooling method. Coolant from the radiator is ran through the heads first, then the block. That’s one way they got away with running almost 11.1 compression on the corvette lt4 engines.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
3rd gen V8 Camaro’s were available with T5’s. They were available in HO 305ci TPI Camaros. 350’s only got automatics. But if I’m understanding this correctly it sounds like the important bits such as the heads and intake will not transfer to a regular crate engine short block.

Nice T 5 ......... alot of T 5 info and pictures over on Jay's web site:

http://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly...info-page.html

go to lugnutz's 'blog page' (comments) and i'm the last 'Reply' , down at the bottom ... (Jim Partridge). He has even up-dated his info ... cool

and, go to the 3rd gen section and search for :

T 5 Install (do a search for "T5 Install" ... it's on the 2nd page, by now)
posted By : taz3 , 28 June, 2017 ---- good reading about putting a T 5
in his 69 Nova behind his ' 396 BB ' with a bench seat.
(my 69 is just a 250ci I-6 with a T 5) , working GREAT , using my stock 3.08 8.2 rear-end. my tag # 1352 - 222 ...... 0.72 5th gear.

any questions about a T 5 behind a V-8 ................ (PM taz3).

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, Thanks for the reference material and pages to link up with more T5 info. I am familiar with most of those resources thanks to you and Taz3’s install thread. Now it will be much easier to locate for me.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's my understanding the LT engine has very little in common with the traditional Small block. The LT engine is like Betamax. It may be better than VHS but if no one embraces it then what do you have? I have always steered clear. Just my .02cents:rolleyes:
Sounds like the last gasp of the basic sbc architecture development may have been an improvement but not relavent enough to make a lasting impact. The LS platform has all but erased the importance it might have had as it has been applied to many more production models then the LT1 ever was and thus embraced by the hotrodders and customizers as well.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Jim, Thanks for the reference material and pages to link up with more T5 info. I am familiar with most of those resources thanks to you and Taz3’s install thread. Now it will be much easier to locate for me.

Did you see this site :

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg-warner-t5-id-tags.htm

real good site for looking up T 5 tag #'s

and a Camaro T-5 : 1352-072 GM 1985 Camaro/Firebird 5.0 V8 U 2.76 2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.63

(Looks to me like : A Camaro/Firebird 5.0 V8 ............... too me ).
and, thank you

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Stay away from that motor. Those opti spark distributors are junk. Also very tempromental motors. I had one in a c10 and hated every minute of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts