68-79 rear window install how to with LOTS of pics! - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior > Best of Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st-June-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
stupesnova
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 SS 66 HT 62 CDAN
68-79 rear window install how to with LOTS of pics!

After recieving several questions about how to do this ... Here it is

Here are instructions on installing a rear window in a 68-79 Nova.

1974 Nova was used in this demonstration however, 68-79 is similar.

Once the window is removed, by whatever means you use, remove all traces of the old adhesive. If pinchweld is rusty prep the window opening with a rust inhibitor and allow to dry by recommended time. Once the pinchweld is clean and dry, apply a pinchweld primer and allow that to dry- minimum 10 minutes.

Clean the back window with glass cleaner making sure to remove old adhesive from the glass. I used a razor blade to remove all traces of old adhesive.

Next, using a RED scotchbright pad, wash the window and scrub the outer edge of the glass.

Once the glass is dry, prime with the appropriate glass primer and allow to dry for 10 minutes.

With a helper, set glass into opening and center it. Place rubber setting blocks at the bottom edge of the glass to help center it.

Mark it with tape on both sides- across the setting blocks. Cut the tape at the glass edge and remove glass from vehicle.

Set the window on a cradle (garbage can will work in a pinch), next take your urethane and apply to the glass edge using a "V" notch. The "V" notch should be approximately 1/4" wide and 3/8" tall.

Use a razor blade to smooth out the joint where the urethane overlaps.

Next, with a helper, using suction cups set the glass into the opening lining up your tape marks.

Install chrome on the clips and screw down bottom with 5 screws.

Wash the window and your done.

GOOD LUCK !!

I would like to thank Scott Poffinbarger (74innovation) for being the photographer and letting his car be the subject of this write up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stupesnova; 12th-December-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st-June-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
Great tips,but it's sooooo much easier,to just call Stupes!

Thanks that's good knowledge to have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1st-June-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
stupesnova
(OP)

SO when am I getting my plane ticket to CANADA to install your glass?

Old 1st-June-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Tommy

Very informative Jeremy, thanks for posting that . I am almost ready to install my back glass and was needing to see that anyway. I have some questions, can I reuse the clips that hold the chrome around the glass and if not where is the best place to get new ones. Also, I have had them out for a looong time, can you tell me or post pics of how they go back in ? One more, what do you do to get that chrome back in without scratching paint or bending chrome pieces ?

Tommy
Old 1st-June-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
stupesnova
(OP)

Yes you can reuse the clips if they are not rusted in half. There are two types of clips one type will slide down onto the stud and the other (the ORIGINAL TYPE ) will have a hole in it the the stud fits into then you slide the clip to the right or the left to "lock" it into position. Installing the chrome is as easy as pushing down on it over the clips and working SLOWLY so as to NOT bend or scratch the chrome OR the paint!

Old 1st-June-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
74innovation

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 74 custom
BIG THANKS goes out to Jeremy for resealing my rear window. Having a pro like Jeremy do the job assures me it's done right the first time. He's a huge asset to Steve's and I'm lucky he's only a few miles away (no plane ticket needed). Thanks again.
Old 1st-June-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
stupesnova
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74innovation View Post
Having a pro like Jeremy do the job assures me it's done right the first time.
WOW, I hope that back glass doesn't leak...DOH did I just say that out loud?! Your welcome Scott Thanks again for being a guinea pig!

Old 3rd-June-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
patmacff

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Way to go Stupes. That's what I call a "How to".
Old 18th-June-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
stupesnova
(OP)

This is how I would recomend installing the rear window. I would NOT recomend using buytl tape because they have a tendency to leak when buytl is used!

Old 7th-July-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
1974 nova

Title: Nova Junior Member
Thanks to stupesnova for the great how to. We followed your instructions and our back glass is back in and looking great. The only problem we had was finding the glass / pinchweld primer.

Old 7th-July-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
stupesnova
(OP)

What brand of adhesive did you use?

Old 9th-July-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
1974 nova

Title: Nova Junior Member
It's called Autobody Master, it may be a house brand. They had never heard of glass primer at this auto parts store, we had to go to a auto body shop for the primer. The first glass primer was out of date and solid, we finaly found some good primer at a third shop. (the one we should have went to first)

Old 24th-June-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
mwb71nova

Nova(s): 1971 SS
What a great thread!

I will be installing my glass within a few months and I was wondering if its OK to install over a painted surface? Will it bond to paint aka Por15? My window track was cleaned and painted with Por15 to prevent any rust, I plan on lightly sanding it with 320 and then installing the glass.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 24th-June-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Nova74ss

Nova(s): 74 ss nova, 358 c.i.d.
Thanks now i can put in my back glass without payin a hundred
Old 24th-June-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
stupesnova
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwb71nova View Post
What a great thread!

I will be installing my glass within a few months and I was wondering if its OK to install over a painted surface? Will it bond to paint aka Por15? My window track was cleaned and painted with Por15 to prevent any rust, I plan on lightly sanding it with 320 and then installing the glass.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, it is a good idea to scuff the pinchweld. It will allow the primer to"bite" in better. Just be sure to wipe the dust off with a damp cloth or tack rag. If you use a damp rag allow the pinchweld to dry before applying the primer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement