No led turn signal with headlights - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-July-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
duggravs
(OP)

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 wagon 8 seater
No led turn signal with headlights

I changed all my lights to LEDs on my 63. Front and rear. The turn signals work perfect until I turn on the headlights.
I got this led flasher AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BTMDQM..._pY6yzb2854SY5
When the headlights are on. Both turn signal indicator on the dash turn on. But when i turn off the head lights it starts flashing again like normal. Could it be the flasher or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-July-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Custom Jim

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977(Sold)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggravs View Post
I changed all my lights to LEDs on my 63. Front and rear. The turn signals work perfect until I turn on the headlights.
I got this led flasher AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BTMDQM..._pY6yzb2854SY5
When the headlights are on. Both turn signal indicator on the dash turn on. But when i turn off the head lights it starts flashing again like normal. Could it be the flasher or something else?
I looked at the flasher you got and I really doubt that is the issue BUT I do like that one in that there is an adjustment on the bottom for speed.

On your car, and a lot of other GM's from that era, the front parking lights/turn signal lights are on a common ground and basically there are three connections on the bulb.

When things are right, when you pull out the headlight switch, the parking lights should come on and the low wattage portion of the turn signal/parking light bulb should illuminate and both the indash turn signal lights should be off.

Now if the headlights are turned off, so should the parking lights and then if the turn signals are activated, the higher wattage portion of the bulb will illuminate.

If the headlights are on with the parking lights lit up on the low wattage portion of the bulb, when the turn signals are activated, the bulb will go from a low glow to a high glow as the low wattage portion of the bulb is already lit up and then the turn signal portion of the bulb being a higher wattage, will make the light brighter yet.

BUT there can be issues if one or more of the light sockets/bulbs are not grounded well and I think this is your issue. When the parking light/turn signal sockets up front are not grounded, then when they are fed 12V from the headlight switch in the parking light mode, they are trying to find a ground and then since there is none, power gets back fed into the turn signal wire which then is wired to the indicators in the dash and then those illuminate also.

While you may have an issue with one or more of the light sockets not grounding well or the structure they are bolted to is not grounded well, it's real easy sometimes to get the bulbs in wrong. The bulbs with dual filaments (1157 models) have 2 nipples on the bottom and on the sides of the barrel, they have locking pins sticking out and one is at a different height from the base of the light than the other and these pins have to line up properly with the different offset notches in the light socket. I have seen poorly fitting bulbs and/or sockets and you can get them installed 180 degree's out.

I would first double check your front end light sockets and mounting for good grounds and then make sure the bulbs are in properly.

If things still are not right, I would make sure the new flasher is wired right in that there is an input and an output. I really doubt that this is your issue BUT who's to say sometimes.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10th-July-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Twinshadows

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
Quote:
did u change all lights to LED ? ....... if so...... go to that page...... scroll down to the video... when u mouse over it said "not for 100% LED lights"....
could that be it ? ..... I have LED's front & rear (turn signals & brake lights & front park/turn)........ all mine DO flash..... but I would like to "speed" them up a little.
Custom Jim is correct (100%)... and I'd go with that 1st... checking grounds & bulbs..... may b just that easy.......
but ...... they did say that (could it be ?)

I'm just saying ------- my LED flasher is NAPA # 262...... it does work ok, just slow (or to me, anyway).

thanks for posting that flasher........... I don't do those sites

jim
my vote is ground problem....

Old 10th-July-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
FirstGenArmy

Nova(s): 1967 SS LSA T56
Garage
You most likely will need diodes at your headlights.

Old 11th-July-2017, 04:03 AM   #5
sedandan

Nova(s): 67 sedan
Have you tried a Electronic Turn Signal Flasher that has a ground wire on it?
Old 11th-July-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
FirstGenArmy

Garage
The LED bulbs operate in only one polarity. Unlike a standard halogens in the headlight. They also require far less voltage and amperage to operate. Having the LED flasher is great, to adjust flash speed. But typically, you will either want a diode on each LED bulb, or atleast a diode on each headlight, to correct the voltage from the ground of the headlights from bleeding back to your LED bulbs. With headlights on, there is voltage reaching the flasher, which activates the indicators and LED bulbs.

Old 11th-July-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
duggravs
(OP)

[QUOTE=Custom Jim; there can be issues if one or more of the light sockets/bulbs are not grounded well and I think this is your issue. When the parking light/turn signal sockets up front are not grounded, then when they are fed 12V from the headlight switch in the parking light mode, they are trying to find a ground and then since there is none, power gets back fed into the turn signal wire which then is wired to the indicators in the dash and then those illuminate also.

While you may have an issue with one or more of the light sockets not grounding well or the structure they are bolted to is not grounded well, it's real easy sometimes to get the bulbs in wrong. The bulbs with dual filaments (1157 models) have 2 nipples on the bottom and on the sides of the barrel, they have locking pins sticking out and one is at a different height from the base of the light than the other and these pins have to line up properly with the different offset notches in the light socket. I have seen poorly fitting bulbs and/or sockets and you can get them installed 180 degree's out.

I would first double check your front end light sockets and mounting for good grounds and then make sure the bulbs are in properly.

If things still are not right, I would make sure the new flasher is wired right in that there is an input and an output. I really doubt that this is your issue BUT who's to say sometimes.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Ok. But if the running lights didn't have good ground they wouldn't even turn on at all right?
I ask because when I was first installing the running lights when the housing wasn't bolted to the car. The light wouldn't turn on at all. Till I bolted it to the car. And it worked perfectly.
Now that I installed the led's. If it didn't have good ground would the light still turn on?

Ill double check the bulbs to see if somehow I installed them backwards. But I'm pretty sure they're in right.

How would I check to see if the flasher is wired right?

Last edited by duggravs; 11th-July-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11th-July-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
duggravs
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGenArmy View Post
You most likely will need diodes at your headlights.
Will i need a diod for the head lights if the headlights are not led? Will I need a diod for both head lights or just for one?

I do plan in the near future to switch my headlights to led head lights. Will I need to change anything Or will I need a diod or anything?
Old 11th-July-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
duggravs
(OP)

If I go with a resistor for each headlight is there a certain kind of resistor that I need?
I called a electronic shop by my house. They asked how many ohms I needed. How do I know how many ohms I need?
Old 11th-July-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
FirstGenArmy

Garage
You may be able to get away with doing one diode in between each of the dash indicators and the flasher. a generic 1N4004 Diode will work fine. Important to pay attention to the gray "arrow" on the diode, it indicates the direction that the current can flow. Or you can even buy a kit for few more bucks which includes more of a no-brainer intructions.

Here's a kit that would work. https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4709.../dp/B000TK7XMY

Old 12th-July-2017, 02:03 AM   #11
duggravs
(OP)

Ok i found out why nothing was happening when I installed the other flasher. I removed the licence plate light and to check the bulb. But when i reinstalled it. The flashers started blinking again. But still no blinking when I have the running lights on or head lights on.
If tried another flasher with a built in ground cable with no change.

Last edited by duggravs; 13th-July-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 13th-July-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
duggravs
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGenArmy View Post
You may be able to get away with doing one diode in between each of the dash indicators and the flasher. a generic 1N4004 Diode will work fine. Important to pay attention to the gray "arrow" on the diode, it indicates the direction that the current can flow. Or you can even buy a kit for few more bucks which includes more of a no-brainer intructions.

Here's a kit that would work. https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4709.../dp/B000TK7XMY
If I go with that diod. Do I need to install it from the negative wire to ground? And do I need to install it behind the LEDs or the headlights?
Old 16th-July-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
duggravs
(OP)

So after 4 different led flashers countless forums. I had my electrician come check out the car. 5min fix for him. All I needed was this. http://m.autozone.com/electrical-and...ors/771931_0_0
Problem solved. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 17th-July-2017, 12:20 PM   #14
FirstGenArmy

Garage
Quote:
So after 4 different led flashers countless forums. I had my electrician come check out the car. 5min fix for him. All I needed was this. http://m.autozone.com/electrical-and...ors/771931_0_0
Problem solved. Thanks everyone for the help.
Nice! Those resistors essentially isolate load/current direction as well. But be careful where you mount them. They get very hot. Hot enough to melt plastic, wires, carpet. Find a solid spot to mount them to sheetmetal to help with heat sink. Preferabley where some air flow is present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement