A quick slick question - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th-August-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Pandora's Box
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Garage
A quick slick question

What do some of you think about rotating your slicks (swapping from side to side)???

Good idea... bad idea???

Do you do it???

I've been asked if I do this, well I don't.

Somewhere in life I've been told that this is not a safe thing to do. Because once used the cords are trained in one direction they could come apart if made to go in the opposite direction.

True???.... Untrue???.... Old wives tail???.... What???
Advertisement

Old 25th-August-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
tannerman

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): '64 Sedan '66 Sedan
I actually rotated my slicks for the first time this year and have been keeping an eye on them very carefully. They seem to be just fine, getting great wear.
I have read on many forums that guys rotate them every 25 runs or so with absolutely no problem.
Old 25th-August-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Fast Eddie

Nova(s): 1966 Nova
I look for scuffing than rotate.
Aqua
Old 25th-August-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
tbills66

Nova(s): 66 SS
We rotated ours after years of not doing it. Not really sure it made any difference or not.
Old 25th-August-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Real McCoy

Title: Moderator
I started rotating mine a couple years ago. It has definitley given me better life and tire usage. The sidewalls break down on mine. I roate about every 10 passes but MT says they would like me to do it every race.

T/S 67 Nova 6.0 certified chassis, Aluminum 655 BBC, 4.50 ET
Old 25th-August-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
1320quick

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1971 Nova 1968 Chevy II
When I run the 28x10.5 MT Drags on my car, I rotate them every 3 passes. If I rotate them, I get about 20 passes per set. If I don't rotate them, I only get 12 passes.
Old 25th-August-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
aggravation

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1965 nova 4 door 331 ci
slicks

Well, I never rotate my slicks.. But after reading what all you guys are doing, sounds like I'am old school, I think I'll try rotating them.. Good post Pandora's Box...
Old 26th-August-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
Seattle_Mike

Absolutely rotate them, usually at least a couple times a race and always if we get tire shake. I was told to do this by some very respected chassis tuners who know a lot more about this stuff than me. I'm sure the type of car and power level have a lot to do with it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26th-August-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
mikeorwan

Nova(s): Boring 11 sec. 350
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post
When I run the 28x10.5 MT Drags on my car, I rotate them every 3 passes. If I rotate them, I get about 20 passes per set. If I don't rotate them, I only get 12 passes.
12-20 passes a set of tires?

Seriously that seems crazy low to wipe out a set. My Hoosier bias slicks had 50 passes when I sold them to another guy and they appeared to have a lot of life left. Weren't even close to the bottom of the wear indicator holes.
My current MT drag radials had around 1500-2000 street miles, 103 passes and now have cords showing.
Admittedly I only really heat them up the 1st pass of the day with much smaller burn outs after that.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
1.587 60', 11.615 1/4
Old 26th-August-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
1320quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeorwan View Post
12-20 passes a set of tires?

Seriously that seems crazy low to wipe out a set. My Hoosier bias slicks had 50 passes when I sold them to another guy and they appeared to have a lot of life left. Weren't even close to the bottom of the wear indicator holes.
My current MT drag radials had around 1500-2000 street miles, 103 passes and now have cords showing.
Admittedly I only really heat them up the 1st pass of the day with much smaller burn outs after that.

yep.... The car weights 3450lbs and runs 8.70's at 165mph with 60's in the low 1.30's on a 28x10.5 ET drag. That car just wrecks the sidewalls. We don't wear out the tread. I sell them to guys with 11-13 second bracket cars that run 1.50 and slower 60's and they run them for another 100+ passes.
Old 26th-August-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Pandora's Box
(OP)

Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggravation View Post
Well, I never rotate my slicks.. But after reading what all you guys are doing, sounds like I'am old school, I think I'll try rotating them.. Good post Pandora's Box...
Yep!

Same here!

I'm going out to the shop to flip them right now and then onto the trailer for this weekends "Gold Cup" 2 day event.
Old 26th-August-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Ricky B

Nova(s): ~'63 wagon~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora's Box View Post
Yep!

Same here!

I'm going out to the shop to flip them right now and then onto the trailer for this weekends "Gold Cup" 2 day event.
Good luck Bro !!!

Norcal Novas
Mark 10:27 !
Old 26th-August-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Seattle_Mike

Good luck this weekend to all who are racing. We're headed up to Canada for the final of two Bad Dog Shootout races which is being held in conjunction with the big Night of Fire event this weekend. We won the first race, so looking to repeat if all goes well.

http://www.speedzonemagazine.com/zon...tout_index.htm

Old 26th-August-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
77xbody

Nova(s): 77 nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post
yep.... The car weights 3450lbs and runs 8.70's at 165mph with 60's in the low 1.30's on a 28x10.5 ET drag. That car just wrecks the sidewalls. We don't wear out the tread. I sell them to guys with 11-13 second bracket cars that run 1.50 and slower 60's and they run them for another 100+ passes.
do run the stiff side wall ? well any way i rotate side to side every time i go out
Old 26th-August-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
1320quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77xbody View Post
do run the stiff side wall ? well any way i rotate side to side every time i go out
The current set is a stiff sidewall tire. In the past, we used the standard sidewall slick as we struggled to get the car to hook for some reason on the stiff sidewalls. We found a major problem (twisted spring perches) so we shall see if the stiff walls work now. We have changed a lot and hope to be more successful with our new setup. Regardless, not trying to hi-jack the OP thread. Just saying my experience is that we get better life out of our slicks by rotating them....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement