CPP / Church Boy Upgrade - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Vendors > Church Boys Racing

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th-January-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Smittys62
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
CPP / Church Boy Upgrade

I got my CPP lower Church arm kit the other day The CB Rack and cross member has been sittin in the garage for some time now waiting on the CPP stuff. I am still waiting on the Coil Overs from CPP hopefully they will get here soon.

I just started to take some stock stuff apart tonight. Time to work on the Nova is slim to none around here.... This up grade might take me a while. Well I was able to get the drag link (is that what it’s called?) out tonight. It looks like my front strut rods and stock cross member is bolted on so that should be rather simple to remove.

Walt, if you’re out there, can you check to see where CPP is with the coil over kit? Thx

Here is a B4 shot. I just put it up on the ramps.

Here is the passenger side B4, man I should of gotten the upper, my stockers look pretty bad.

Driver side B4 shot

Here what I was able to remove tonight. That was fun, NOT!!

Looking better already

Last edited by Smittys62; 18th-November-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: fix pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th-January-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 Coupe-495 HP-LS3
Garage
The fun has just started. You're gonna save a few hours having bolts instead of rivets.....keep us "posted"......

Looks good so far...

T,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 16th-January-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Nova 404

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
You are so lucky! it looks like your strut rod pockets are bolted in.The worst part of that job is drilling out all those rivets.

Member of the NorCal Brotherhood!

Old 16th-January-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Vin63

Excellent! Please keep us posted on your progress with photos at different steps along the way. I wish these components were available when I built my car.

Last edited by Vin63; 16th-January-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 16th-January-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
TomM

Garage
[QUOTE=truckntom73;994322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
The fun has just started. You're gonna save a few hours having bolts instead of rivets.....keep us "posted"......

Carefull cutting with a torch and pop them out with a punch took me 15 minutes per side.
Tom
Dang... you had a torch?.....

Gotta get one of those some day....

T,

Old 16th-January-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
boyds67wagon

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Longroof
I was just going to take the cut-off wheel to it. Any one tried it yet?
Old 16th-January-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Vin63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyds67wagon View Post
That's what I use... cut-off wheel on my angle grinder and take the heads off. Then I'm able to punch out the rest of the rivet.

Old 16th-January-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Smittys62
(OP)

Wow Sounds like some fun was had by the rivets. Glad mine is only bolted on with nuts and screws I may get some time under the car today wishful thinking with my two boyz (3yr and 4yr) runnin a muck Is there a particular order to this? I guess I need to support the car differently cause im on the ramps now. I guess some tall jack stands. I hate working under jack stands
Old 16th-January-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
surfdog

Nova(s): 64wagon, 67wagon (SOLD)
Your uppers look better than mine did! They cleaned up nice with a wire wheel, POR-15 and Eastwood chassis black. If I had to do it again, I think I would go for powder coating.

Old 16th-January-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
Smittys62
(OP)

Hey surfdog, is the paint not holding up? I am looking for some options on cleaning some of the old stuff that will be put back on.
Old 16th-January-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
67 church

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 2dr hrd top, 2-63 wags
Smittys62, before you get the jack stands out and everything off and you can't move the car, unbolt your headers and get them out of the way. I know what you mean about having the little helpers mine are 1.5, 5, & 7

Made in the USA
Old 16th-January-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
3DTim

Nova(s): 66 ProStreet 82 SWB C-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 church View Post
Smittys62, before you get the jack stands out and everything off and you can't move the car, unbolt your headers and get them out of the way. I know what you mean about having the little helpers mine are 1.5, 5, & 7
And one on the way
Old 16th-January-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
TomM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyds67wagon View Post

Yep tried it, no go on the wheel, you can't get it in the pockets at the back rivets. Those have to be drilled.....

I used a sawz-all with a short metal blade on the front ones and was able to cut them flush, and then knock them out, the back ones are just a PITA.

Smitty...bro, you gotta do somtin with dat fuel line though, it's scarin' me where it is. You can go up over the upper a-arm, and go throught the fenderwell with a grommet.

T,

Old 16th-January-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
Borrelli's65SS

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 65 SS/350sb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Yep tried it, no go on the wheel, you can't get it in the pockets at the back rivets. Those have to be drilled.....

I used a sawz-all with a short metal blade on the front ones and was able to cut them flush, and then knock them out, the back ones are just a PITA.

Smitty...bro, you gotta do somtin with dat fuel line though, it's scarin' me where it is. You can go up over the upper a-arm, and go throught the fenderwell with a grommet.

T,
I did mine with a cut-off. Cut a slice into the top like you're splitting it, the cross it again so it looks like a phillips head rivet, lol. A blade punch cleans it up and they pop out. I got pics of mine I'll probably post soon.
Old 16th-January-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
Smittys62
(OP)

Okay, should I just take out the driver side? Ill take a look under there now. I think the Lil ones are napping Wife gone today helping a friend with her wedding Great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement