New 72 Nova - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-June-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): '72 Nova 2-door 350/TH350
Yearly update time Since I last posted, I have sanded the car down to metal with 80 grit (other than the hood, which was in good shape and got scuffed with 180), then painted with SPI satin black primer. Still undecided on final paint color.

I found some headers on Craigslist for $60 that came out of a truck with a Nova subframe, and they actually fit really well on the driver's side with PS. The passenger side didn't fit because of the huge AC suitcase, but we took the inner side of the case off for now. This thing sounds mean with open headers Only problem we had was that the idle was way too fast at first, but once we turned that down the car stumbles and dies as soon as I touch the gas (pulling it out of choke maybe?). I just want it running for now, as I have an old Holley 630 4-barrel that I need to rebuild (my research shows that it's a stock part from a Dodge). I think my engine plans when I do a rebuild (and pull the engine to finish the engine bay) are:
Vortec heads
Comp XE268
Compatible intake manifold
New pistons to raise CR
New bearings and any necessary machining

Any suggestions on why these parts won't be good for a street car, or better recommendations? I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to throw $5k into the engine if I can get the same outcome spending much less. I know a lot of people are doing LS swaps (including my brother), but I don't mind having old technology in an old car (plus if I want to drive a 5.3 I can drive my truck).

I have a Summit header-back exhaust showing up tomorrow, and will hopefully get it on this weekend. I will also be pressure washing the engine bay and putting on the front end with my fastener kit from Chevy2Only.

Last edited by sudden_impulse; 6th-June-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th-June-2017, 09:18 PM   #17
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Well, got the exhaust tonight. It seems very well built, so we'll see how it fits. Noticed the mufflers are Heartthrob, which I think I read somewhere was the better sounding turbo muffler until Summit changed suppliers. Nice that they're made in MN too.
Attached Images

Last edited by sudden_impulse; 7th-June-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 9th-June-2017, 07:12 AM   #18
bigdaddykane

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 3rd gen Nova's
what diameter is that exhaust? what brand are those quarter panels? and were they full quarters? and did you replace that outer cowl on the drivers side that was smashed in?

you should put on that 4 barrel intake that you have on the floor with a quadrajet carb on it...

How about painting it the original blue since that's a nice looking blue. and those snow tires look kinda good on it too.

Old 9th-June-2017, 09:48 AM   #19
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Headers are 1 5/8" primary with a 3" collector, exhaust is 2.5" all the way back.

The quarter panels were AMD I believe, but we ordered them off eBay, and I believe they were marketed as Goodmark (I was ok with getting AMD). They were full up to the sail panel and also came with separate sail panels. Where I welded is where they ended; I cut the car to match the quarter.

I did not replace the driver cowl that was smashed, but we have pushed a good chunk of it out and will continue to try pushing it out (it's hidden behind the fender, so it's not really seen).

If I had a quadrajet 4 barrel sitting around I might for mileage, but I don't. The 630 carb that I have was sitting around my dad's shop, so it just needs $25 in rebuild parts and my time.

I like the stock blue, but I'm not much of a light blue guy. We'll see what I decide after show season this year. I wanted to wait to paint the whole car until I had the engine pulled and the bay painted, as well as rebuilding and swapping a front subframe with stock disc that I got with my '73 parts car. Those tires came on it (for the front with Rally 2's), and the rear were sitting around the shop again. I don't mind them for now, but the other rear tire goes flat in a matter of an hour.
Old 11th-June-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Got the exhaust installed. Everything is just tack welded up to the mufflers, and the tail pipes are just fit in the mufflers with temporary hangers. I like it
Old 12th-June-2017, 12:09 AM   #21
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Question for you guys. My rear springs are very stiff (5 leaf), like the car barely moves when we push on the back. Is this just the nature of these springs, or could old mushroomed bushings or over torqued shackles cause this?

Also, has anybody found a shock extension for the bottom of the shock? I ordered shocks for it a few years ago, and even when making sure I got shocks for a multi-leaf setup, the shocks are like 1" short when fully extended and the car is sitting on the wheels. I don't want to do extensions on top, but I'm thinking at this point that I might have to just bite the bullet and get rear shocks that are longer. I have Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, so if anybody has a part number that works that would be awesome
Old 16th-September-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Update time. Since I posted, I've moved the car from my parent's house to my house, and have done the following work:
  • New control arm bushings
  • New Moog springs (slightly lowering, as they're Camaro Z28 springs)
  • New shocks in front
  • New brake shoes and springs
  • New sway bar end links
  • Painted all front suspension and part of frame
  • New poly leaf spring bushings
  • Painted and installed newer 5-leaf springs with poly pads
  • Installed subframe connectors
  • Removed original AC components and installed AC delete cover
  • New fuel pump
  • Installed AMD 2" cowl hood
  • Installed new AMD rear bumper (in progress)
  • Refinished early Z28 "mag" rally wheels
  • New Cooper Cobra tires (255/60-15 in rear, 235/60-15 in front)
  • Installed new headliner
  • Put temporary seat covers over high back bucket seats

Items currently being worked on:
  • Installing bluetooth module where the original radio was and figure out stereo system
  • Install longer rear shocks
  • Fix, dye and install original AC dash pad
  • Put triple gauge setup in original AC center dash opening (anybody have pictures of doing this? I've never seen it)
  • Get new battery installed
  • Install temporary fuel filter by pump (still using the original tank, I'd like to see if there's still stuff flowing through)
  • Possibly install QJet when removed from my dad's '67 Chevelle
Anybody have any pointers for refinishing and fixing cracks in the dash pad?

That's my little helper in the picture, she really likes playing with dad's tools more than the play tools she has in the shed
Name:  IMG_20190914_161758417.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20190914_161808061.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20190914_161825037.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  100.1 KB
Old 17th-September-2019, 02:31 PM   #23
Tacocaster

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 72 2 Door Coupe
Garage
It's great she has the interest in what Dad's up to! Pay attention to her, these years are some of the VERY best ones.

As for your cracked dash....I've seen others do the repairs by cutting a v-shape and filling it in with some rubber-like compound then recovering. Now those were old cracks too.
In my case, the cracks were fairly new so I just had an upholstery shop pull off the old vinyl and install stretchable marine grade vinyl over the old pad. It's been two years and no sign of the cracks (in the old padding) have come through so far.
Others on SNS will likely have better ideas for you but here's one, at least.
Old 19th-September-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Battery was bought yesterday, just the cheap $50 WalMart battery for now. I think I need to buy new bolts for the battery tray though, as the typical body bolts are too long and are poking into the bottom of the battery. I also need a battery hold-down kit.

Windshield is going in today. Got a mobile company coming out to do it for $125 (with me supplying the windshield from Auto City Classic, who is local to me), as well as replacing the windshield in my truck at the same time.

Hopefully I'll get time to tighten my front suspension bolts tonight since the sheet metal is all on. I do need to figure out why I'm sitting an inch lower on the driver's side in back, as that's making the front sit 1/2" lower. It's visible from looking at it, not just measuring it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacocaster View Post
It's great she has the interest in what Dad's up to! Pay attention to her, these years are some of the VERY best ones.

As for your cracked dash....I've seen others do the repairs by cutting a v-shape and filling it in with some rubber-like compound then recovering. Now those were old cracks too.
In my case, the cracks were fairly new so I just had an upholstery shop pull off the old vinyl and install stretchable marine grade vinyl over the old pad. It's been two years and no sign of the cracks (in the old padding) have come through so far.
Others on SNS will likely have better ideas for you but here's one, at least.
I try to keep her attention in the shop, and she loves to play in the car (sometimes she lets me "drive", other times I'm confined to the passenger seat!).

My cracks are from the car sitting in a junkyard for anywhere from 2-20 years (tags were from 1987 or so when I bought it in 2012). I'll check with an old coworker who does vinyl repairs to see if I can buy the stuff he uses in a smaller, non-commercial size.
Old 2nd-October-2019, 12:16 PM   #25
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Haven't gotten a real chance to do much but order a couple parts. I need to make a backing panel to match the opening better and refinish it (thinking of a textured spray to match the dash panel), but it looks like a 3-gauge set of 2" gauges fit perfectly in the center AC vent. The gauges are cheap from Amazon (and in metric), but they have electric sending units for oil pressure and water temp.

Name:  IMG_20190930_183752642_2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  90.0 KB

I also ordered a cheap tach to use for now to tune the carb and just for general driving purposes.

I did a quick look, and the height difference in back might be adjusted somewhat by loosening the mounting points to the body and trying to move the front spring perch back (and maybe just having the same size tires in back when tightening everything up will help ). Hopefully that helps the front. I know the front springs aren't quite in the seats on the lower control arm, but that's hard to do with just one person. I'll adjust those at some point too.
Old 8th-October-2019, 10:10 AM   #26
sudden_impulse
(OP)

Question for you guys. When installing the springs (Moog 6308, so shorter than stock), which spring stop is more important if you have to choose: upper or lower? I'm not sure if these springs will hit both spring stops, so I might have to adjust them to be in one or the other. I thought I read somewhere that the lower is more important, but then I've read on other sites that you want them lined up at the top. Any help is appreciated.
Old 8th-October-2019, 11:10 AM   #27
RifRaf

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1974 Nova Custom
Garage
Info from what I have read... and done.
I use the top spring pocket for referencing the installation of the front springs. If you look at the top side of the upper spring pocket, you should see a small hole where the coil of the spring would rest (spring on the underside of this pocket).

I place a small screwdriver into this hole and install the front spring so the end of the top coil touches the inserted screwdriver... then I rotate the spring away from the screwdriver so that the end of the top coil is about 1/4"-3/8" away from the screwdriver. The bottom of the spring coil will rest where ever it lies based on the correctly positioning of the top of the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement