Really upset with cpp - Page 4 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Vendors > Classic Performance Products Inc.

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd-August-2012, 01:37 PM   #46
david68

Title: Nova Senior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron-CPP View Post
Good Afternoon,

Jeff mainly deals with this forum site but I can hopefully help you out with this. If you PM or email me your info I can get you a set of bolts out in the mail for the caliper bracket. no problem.

As for a bolt breaking the only time I have seen this is when the bolt was loose enough to were the bracket could move. If the bolt was under torqued this could happen or if it was over torques it would normally strip threads and become loose. These are the only few times we have seen any bolt break under use.

I would recommend replacing all bolts on the spindle to be safe and follow the grade 8 torque specs on the caliper bracket installation sheet. Also available on the website.

Again, I would be happy to send these bolts to you so call or email/pm me so we can get this taken care of.

Talk to you soon,

[email protected] 800-522-5004 ext 125
There you go !!!! Everything should be great now! They established that it was all your fault for under or over torquing the original bolts and even offered to send you another set of the same "quality" bolts that broke the first time. What a deal!!

I think I would find a local trusted bolt supply and buy my own grade 8 bolts and I think you (OP) have already done so. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd-August-2012, 01:39 PM   #47
the FLYER

Title: Readers Club
Nova(s): The Pillars of Society
Quote:
Originally Posted by 642doorhardtop View Post
I think this is natural for compaines to get lazy and forget the basic core values that built them up. Just a matter of getting fat and lazy. There are plenty of examples, and I hope as well CBR doesnt let this happen.

BUUUUTT......On the bright side, even if they do, 10 years down the line my tubular lowers will still be just barely getting broken in, ready for the next 40 years of service

Never heard of a bolt breaking on CBR kit...is all Im saying
Church Boys uses grade 8 bolts exclusively...

Old 2nd-August-2012, 02:11 PM   #48
WildBillyT

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1968 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the FLYER View Post

Footnote:

USA grade 8's. I own nothing from CBR so I'm not being a fanboi, either.

That's a china grade 8 spindle bolt. Never again, and I stopped buying from that retailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2nd-August-2012, 02:26 PM   #49
642doorhardtop

Nova(s): 64 COUPE "Gracie Baby"
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the FLYER View Post

Look at that! Just look at that beauty! Sitting loyally and faithfully in that bolt hole! I use my sockets on these suckers and there is no scratches or abrasions or marks of any sort on the bolt head..you can feel they are solid!

I did that to the other hardware, and 12 or 6 point no matter, the GOLD PAINT not only started to wear off, but the bolt head rounded up a bit and you could tell it was a much softer metal after just one toque down. Cheap gold paint is no substitute for durability. Otherwise I would throw a Caterpillar emblem on my 5.3L Silverado motor and change the nameplates to Peterbilt or Freightliner and expect it to run 1,000,000 miles before a teardown. As silly as that sounds, thats exactly why those cheap bolts come in gold. Its kinda insulting to think we would fall for it...but I did...the first time.
Old 2nd-August-2012, 02:46 PM   #50
64IIGolfLover

Nova(s): 64 II 67 Wagon-sold
I think that no matter what product or upgrade you buy everything including nut, bolt whatever needs to be double checked before going on any car no matter what. And it doesn't matter if you are buying the best stuff in the world I would still double check everything before before and after you bolt it on your car. JMO
Old 2nd-August-2012, 02:56 PM   #51
Pandora's Box

Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david68 View Post
There you go !!!! Everything should be great now! They established that it was all your fault for under or over torquing the original bolts and even offered to send you another set of the same "quality" bolts that broke the first time. What a deal!!

I think I would find a local trusted bolt supply and buy my own grade 8 bolts and I think you (OP) have already done so. Good Luck.
Who's old enough to remember the old H&R Block commercials......

They had 17 good reasons......

I'm sure CPP will kill this thread now that "they" have full control of it!

Actually I'm surprised its lasted this long.

Oh well, if at least 1 consumer was educated that's all that matters.
Old 4th-August-2012, 11:51 AM   #52
Bassinnovas

Nova(s): 1962 4 Dr (2)
Thanks Nodice333 for stating your case here, where all the rest of us who have not purchased our parts yet can maybe make an informed decision as to where we buy our parts.

I was definately considering buying my Mini Subframe & Frt Disc Brake conversion from CPP, however I am having second thoughts from all I hear about their Products & Service. I WILL be shopping around now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4th-August-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
Ryan74

Nova(s): 1974 2dr nova
I got my a arms and power booster from cpp. No problems yet.
Old 4th-August-2012, 12:22 PM   #54
tmoore79

Nova(s): Original 63SS bone stock
I've bought the Grade 8 bolts at Lowes. They seem quality. Anyone ever had any problems with those? Hopefully Aaron reports this to their R&D as a safety concern and they take a hard look at their bolt supplier. It's not worth losing a life over making a 25 cent margin on inferior quality fasteners.
Old 17th-August-2012, 09:24 PM   #55
Powderski

There have been a couple different threads and different web forums with comments that TCI uses the CPP parts on their disc brake setups. Is this a concern for those who have a TCI setup? Does anybody know if it is an issue that TCI has addressed?
Old 17th-August-2012, 10:39 PM   #56
David&Melissa_h

C hinese
P roduced
P roducts
Old 17th-August-2012, 11:45 PM   #57
642doorhardtop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore79 View Post
It's not worth losing a life over making a 25 cent margin on inferior quality fasteners.
Tell that to their purchasing department

I bought CPP upper ball joints when I did my CBR on the bottom and saved like $80 so at the time I was happy. I have a loud clunk that I can feel when either I apply the brakes hard, turn sharply almost full lock, or back down a driveway. Its coming from the front end. My suspicion is its the uppers moving around in their sockets. I have a feeling I purchased defective upper ball joints.

Is their any surefire way to tell besides jacking the front end up and wiggling the tire up and down? Has anyone had this?
Old 18th-August-2012, 12:14 PM   #58
642doorhardtop

Garage
[QUOTE=Nova 404;1909545]You will have to jack it up and block the upper control arm so the joint is not at full travel(hanging at full droop) and see if there is play.We used to make a 2x4 block that would wedge betwwen the upper arm and the lip of the freame to accomplish this.Hear is an EXPLODED view of a CPP joint from a previous thread so you know how its put together

Cool deal! So thats whats inside of them! Those are my lowers, Yup

For some reason, I have pretty strong doubts its anything on the lower side. Ill go check it out today when I pull the wheels to paint the rims....

Thanks for the homemade blow up diagrams! Never even thought about what these suckers looked like inside!
Old 18th-August-2012, 03:48 PM   #59
642doorhardtop

Garage
Yea Ive read somewhere about bad balljoints almost right out of the box. Im going to just HOPE that this is not the case, and maybe something is shifting around underthere. Afterall, I havent been down there since the install to check on anything I dont think thats any better though...
Old 13th-December-2012, 05:25 AM   #60
jfstringer

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1967 2dr Coupe
Kinda sad to read about the inferior bolt issue. Even worse is the seeming lack of concern for customer safety on the part of CPP as evidenced by their blasť response. I'd heard good things about them and was mere seconds from ordering the subframe kit for my car when I decided to search here for some info. This isn't what I expected to find. Does anyone know if the issue has been remedied, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement