Quick help for a transmission newbie - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-August-2019, 10:46 AM   #16
WildBillyT

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1968 Nova SS
Thanks for posting those. Nothing seems to jump out (to me at least) as wrong.

Just to confirm, with the trans in neutral you can spin the driveshaft freely? And you tried pushing the clutch in to get it in to gear as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-August-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
Tacocaster

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 72 2 Door Coupe
Garage
Not sure what you're using for installation instructions but I used what Hurst offers on their web site for my Super Shifter/M21 application and what trouble I had was explained away within the same.
Don't panic! Your problem is likely in the trans, assuming you've got your shift dogs locked-up. Muncie's don't cotton well to "dry" shifting. They like spinning internals.
I'd suggest first removing the shifter's rods completely from the trans and make sure your trans will shift (spin your rear wheels while shifting. Takes two people unless you're The Flash!). If you can get all four, align it back in neutral and before your reconnect your shift rods using Hurst's instructions, make sure the shifter itself is not jammed somehow. Careful you don't move the shift arms on the trans when reinstalling the rods.
You'll get it. Just be patient and think about what your doing. It really isn't hard. I know because I did it and there's many experts on here behind us.
Old 13th-August-2019, 09:51 PM   #18
Jmorr
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): I have a 1970 nova
I surely do appreciate the input. Last night I jacked up the rear wheels and had someone hold in the clutch while I spun the drive shaft. It spun easily, but didn't seem to help at the time. I guess my bumbling around knocked something loose though. Walking by the car to workout just now I figured I'd give it one more try. It goes into every gear now. Go figure.

I do have to give it a little extra force (not an unreasonable amount) getting over to reverse while in the neutral groove. Is that by design?

Thanks again guys.

Old 13th-August-2019, 11:10 PM   #19
seventynovaSS

Nova(s): 1970 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorr View Post
I do have to give it a little extra force (not an unreasonable amount) getting over to reverse while in the neutral groove. Is that by design?
Yes, there is a spring that needs to be compressed to get into the reverse gate.
It helps prevent accidentally getting into reverse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th-August-2019, 11:40 PM   #20
Jmorr
(OP)

Excellent! Thanks
Old 14th-August-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
WildBillyT

Nova(s): 1968 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorr View Post
Excellent! Thanks
Yup, it's there to help prevent you from downshifting from 2->R

Old 14th-August-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
Jmorr
(OP)

I'll admit I was a little terrified when I read there was no lock out (?) to keep you from shifting into R while traveling forward. So the spring is a happy surprise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement