8.5 10 Bolt with 9" Ends - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-August-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Truck21
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1971 Ventura
8.5 10 Bolt with 9" Ends

Hello All,

I am trying to get some information on putting 9" ends on my 10 bolt. I would like to narrow it a 1/2" each side and install the 9" ends. I figure if I have to narrow it I'll upgrade the ends.

I already rebuilt the rear with 30 spline Moser 12 bolt axles and a 30 spline Detroit Trutrac. It's all together and I realize I need to shorten it to fit my rims. Shortening is cheaper than new rims and tires that are new.

Can I press bearings and collars on the chevy axles? I really do not want to get new axles. I figure I can cut a 1/2" off the axles and extend the splines if necessary.

Any information is appreciated.

I know I can call Moser and buy everything new but I really would like to work with what I bought and is new if at all possible.

Thank you
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-August-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Nova Thug

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
What are you trying to gain by using the 9 ends on your 8.50 10 bolt? Larger Torino axle bearings and C clip elimination..But, will you be able to find bearings for it to work with your axles..?
Old 11th-August-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Truck21
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Thug View Post
What are you trying to gain by using the 9 ends on your 8.50 10 bolt? Larger Torino axle bearings and C clip elimination..But, will you be able to find bearings for it to work with your axles..?
This is what I am trying to find out. I had everything measured and I am 1/2 off. I really shouldn't be as I have worked/ still help out at my family's tire shop but I am.

So I have a complete 8.5 10 bolt with the forged axles that I need either 5.5 backspace rims, very expensive, or I shorten my rear 1" and allow myself to use a bunch of different rims.

I have and would like to use the steelies with baby moon center caps that I have but they do not come in 5.5 backspacing. So I would like to use the 15x8 with 5.0 backspacing.

Thank you for your answer!
Bill

Old 11th-August-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Truck21
(OP)

Just to be clear I know I can call Moser, Strange etc and get whatever I need but I have a rear that is strong and is what I want but it is an inch too wide.

I am trying to shorten it the best/easiest/cheapest way possible.

I am open to all ideas.
I have a mig welder and a jig for the cutting of the axle.
Thank you
Bill

Last edited by Truck21; 11th-August-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12th-August-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
JBimmolate

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1963 Wagon
so you will need new axles as the diameters of the shafts are different and there is no shoulder for the bearing to press up against.

Miles
Old 12th-August-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Nova Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck21 View Post
This is what I am trying to find out. I had everything measured and I am 1/2 off. I really shouldn't be as I have worked/ still help out at my family's tire shop but I am.

So I have a complete 8.5 10 bolt with the forged axles that I need either 5.5 backspace rims, very expensive, or I shorten my rear 1" and allow myself to use a bunch of different rims.

I have and would like to use the steelies with baby moon center caps that I have but they do not come in 5.5 backspacing. So I would like to use the 15x8 with 5.0 backspacing.

Thank you for your answer!
Bill
Call Collins Wheels and speak with Tim or Carlos. They can make wheels to your specifications. I’m probably going to have a couple of wheels made similar to the dimensions you’re talking about.. 15x8 with 5-5.25” backspace. I’ve spoken with Tim about this and he stated that he had 15x8 w/5” bs on hand..

Collins Wheels
(562) 630-6546‬

8836 Alondra Blvd
Bellflower, CA 90706

Last edited by Nova Thug; 12th-August-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12th-August-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
bugguy357

Nova(s): 65 Nova SS
Contact http://mitchelldifferential.com they are in Shrewsbury MA not far from RI they will get you fixed up!
Old 12th-August-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
Alf

Title: Nova Senior Member
The problem I have with a 8" steel wheel with enough BS, example: 5.25" is the wheel barely has any recess. When you put a small cap on it, even a rally cap, it looks odd.
Maybe on the front but it doesn't work for me on the back.
Old 13th-August-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
Nova Thug

No caps.. No problems..
Attached Images

Old 13th-August-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
Truck21
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
The problem I have with a 8" steel wheel with enough BS, example: 5.25" is the wheel barely has any recess. When you put a small cap on it, even a rally cap, it looks odd.
Maybe on the front but it doesn't work for me on the back.
I am going for the stock type look with the tire extended farther underneath the car. This shallow dish helps me there.
Old 13th-August-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
Truck21
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBimmolate View Post
so you will need new axles as the diameters of the shafts are different and there is no shoulder for the bearing to press up against.

Miles
So could I use a collar like the one on the inside of the bearing to space it out from the hub?

Then I would need to find a bearing with the ID of the 10/12 bolt axle and the OD of the Ford big bearing rear with the groove for the o=ring?
Old 14th-August-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
shawn63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck21 View Post
So could I use a collar like the one on the inside of the bearing to space it out from the hub?

Then I would need to find a bearing with the ID of the 10/12 bolt axle and the OD of the Ford big bearing rear with the groove for the o=ring?
I don't think you'll find such a bearing... i tried.
Your axles may have enough spline to cut off 1/2" andt not need resplining i thin some of the aftermarket axles have more spline length than stock
I don't see how you can use the ford ends with the "gm" sized axles.
The only thing I can think of and this is by no means the best or "right" way to do it.
Cut 1/2" out of your axles tubes and weld the gm axle end back on. You'll need a skilled welder and some kind of a fixture/jig to get hsg ends square. You may have to remove the carrier as well.
You'll also need a c-clip eliminator kit because you eliminated the c-clip groove if you cut the axles.
So what's cheaper maybe my way; what's better , buy new axles and use ford ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement