quick help on location of VINS other than the DASH - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th-September-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
burrpenick
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 72 350/4sp/12bt/3.42/posi
quick help on location of VINS other than the DASH

SOLVED SOLVED. Its too difficult to find the numbers on the firewall just because. I have no reason to think my dash VIN is not the only one on the car, and it matches the title.

I want to make sure my cars VINS match the dash tag. I understand there are several places, but what is the easiest place for me to find one........thinking somewhere around the trunk rail/drain area? Maybe under the weather stipping? Someone please help me find it w/o ripping it all off! Thanks, george

Last edited by burrpenick; 13th-September-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th-September-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
dokks6t9

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1969 nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
I want to make sure my cars VINS match the dash tag. I understand there are several places, but what is the easiest place for me to find one........thinking somewhere around the trunk rail/drain area? Maybe under the weather stipping? Someone please help me find it w/o ripping it all off! Thanks, george
If you're asking if the VIN # on the dash will match the plate on the firewall, chances are it won't..You are correct on that location for the VIN #, in the trunk weather rail/gutter..
Old 8th-September-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Twinshadows

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
have you looked @ Novaresource.org --- to read your car's dash 'VIN #'

check it out --- a lot of good info , on ALL NOVA's :

https://www.novaresource.org/vin.htm

later, jim

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear

Old 8th-September-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Twinshadows

Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
also, the "dash VIN # should match your Title / paperwork"

but , the 'cowl tag vin number (mostly) , will not match . BUT , the OTHER numbers on your cowl tag should match : like your : paint code, trim code, and any options

(ROP codes) on your car.

and, WELCOME to SNS jim

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear
Old 8th-September-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Alf

I have the VIN stamped twice on the firewall of my 72 under the blower housing. There is nothing on my trunk drip area.
If I have to remove the blower cover to prove VIN I'm in for a lot of work.
Old 8th-September-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
J Mark

Nova(s): 1972 383
Garage
I too have it twice on the firewall behind the heater cover. You can see one of them if you pull the blower motor and use a mirror but who wants to do that. I did have a number stamped on the driver side of the trunk drip channel. I could not find where it correlated to anything regarding the VIN.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

80-92
Old 8th-September-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Alf

J, I will have to prove my secondary VIN to the CHP once my car is complete and can be driven to the CHP office. It's a long story but the Readers Digest version is that the DMV messed up.
I will take it to CHP without the blower motor and will be sure to take a telescopic mirror.
I too had a number on trunk drip but it was covered with primer. Mine too didn't correspond with anything.
I assumed it was a part number for the quarter.
My local CHP, Aptos, is notorious for being strict and known to not like modified cars. I don't want more trouble. I'm going to look around a bit for a more laid back office.
Old 8th-September-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
J Mark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
J, I will have to prove my secondary VIN to the CHP once my car is complete and can be driven to the CHP office. It's a long story but the Readers Digest version is that the DMV messed up.
I will take it to CHP without the blower motor and will be sure to take a telescopic mirror.
I too had a number on trunk drip but it was covered with primer. Mine too didn't correspond with anything.
I assumed it was a part number for the quarter.
My local CHP, Aptos, is notorious for being strict and known to not like modified cars. I don't want more trouble. I'm going to look around a bit for a more laid back office.
Alf, I'm right behind you with the CHP thing. I will be doing it too. Don't know why I said mirror, just get one of those telescopic inspection probes.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

80-92
Old 8th-September-2019, 10:02 PM   #9
burrpenick
(OP)

ALP.....please tell me EXACTLy whre to find that drip rail VIN#

SORRY, I meant to address this to ALF!

I am assuming you are talking about a 72ish NOVA. Just tell me WHAT side of the trunk its on and about where its located..........like is is UNDER THe rubber molding? Mine has been painted so I'll have to hunt for it. NOT sure why YOUR number didnt match the last 5 of the dash VIN- unless the quarter has been replaced. It WONT be the entire number.
Old 8th-September-2019, 11:27 PM   #10
Alf

burr, the number I saw while stripping my '72 was on the left quarter on the lip where the trunk weatherstrip is located. In other words, if you opened the trunk you would see it in the "gutter" just to the left of the weatherstrip on the driver's side.
The quarter is original and the number did not match any part of the VIN so, if not a part number I don't know what it was.
This number was all in a neat line. The two VINs stamped on my firewall; one was upside down and neither very aligned......almost looked hand punched.
Old 9th-September-2019, 10:07 AM   #11
burrpenick
(OP)

vin location

Thanks for the EXCELLENT directions! I will look. My car has had the color changes, so it wont be easy to fine. George
Old 9th-September-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
burrpenick
(OP)

this is being picky, but...........

SInce my color was changed I'll surely have to grind/sand paint off to find those numbers in the trunk rail(on the drivers side- not under the rubber per you-thanks!). Can you tell me if YOURS was located near the top/middle/or bottom of that side gutter so I dont mess up more paint than necessary? george
Old 9th-September-2019, 09:09 PM   #13
J Mark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
SInce my color was changed I'll surely have to grind/sand paint off to find those numbers in the trunk rail(on the drivers side- not under the rubber per you-thanks!). Can you tell me if YOURS was located near the top/middle/or bottom of that side gutter so I dont mess up more paint than necessary? george
Got your PM as I was already trying to research what that number is. I attached a pic I took of the number a couple years ago. You can figure out the location. I'm confident it has nothing to do with the VIN, rather it is the part number of the left qtr. The 531 in my number correlates to the last 3 numbers of the part number in my manual for the 70-72, 2 Door, Left Quarter. I can tell you for sure it has nothing to do with the VIN.
Attached Images

Mark

80-92
Old 9th-September-2019, 09:20 PM   #14
burrpenick
(OP)

THANKS fpr saving me the trouble!

I know that was Frustrating! Mopars DO have a VIN stamped back there under the trunk seal, but so far all I have read about on the Chevy Nova are on the firewall BEHIND STUFF! I'm really NOT going to go any farther- dont think I need to, no inspections should have to be done on my car- just a basic trade.
Old 10th-September-2019, 12:01 PM   #15
SouthBay2s

Nova(s): 67 400 4-Door
The number stamped in the quarter channel I believe is the last three digits of the part number like J Mark said. The other digits being a stamping date code - 1 K 3 1 or November 3rd, 1971 1st shift. I do not know this for certain, but other large parts on these cars follow that convention.
1973 Nova Custom - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement