Headers for 72 nova with 454 and afr heads - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-June-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
dmassey
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 72 chev nova
Headers for 72 nova with 454 and afr heads

Hi looking to buy some new headers when i do my engine swap.ill be using big block stands and mounts.what are the best fitting headers?ill be running a 500hp big block with afr 265 heads.currently all i can get in australia locally is flowtech or hooker.has anyone had problems with these as im trying to avoid shipping them from the usa as the cost is massive.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-June-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
bracketchev70

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 70 Nova (sold)
Generally the store brand headers work with heads like AFR. They have the exhaust ports raised .375" so it does create a little issue. I didn't have a big block in a nova but I used the hooker headers with my Dart and Merlin heads in my Chevelle. Both of these heads were .375 raised. Brodix race heads are .600 raised so you are off to a better start with the AFR's.
Old 11th-June-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
dmassey
(OP)

From what I have read on other forums it looks like hooker headers aren't very good.heaps of people recommend Doug headers anyone had luck with them.im gona go for the 1 7/8 as its just a street bruiser

Old 11th-June-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
bracketchev70

Nova(s): 70 Nova (sold)
The smaller the header the better off you will be. I had the 2 1/8" headers in my car, they had a few issues with sparkplugs but otherwise didn't hit the frame or suspension.
Old 11th-June-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
pockets

Title: Nova Junior Member
I went with ARH 2"x3.5" headers in my 71 Nova. Proper frame stands and BBC mounts. I also have AFR265 heads. They are beautiful headers, lots of clearance for the steering box and suspension. They fit very snug to the block, I had to dimple a couple tubes to clear some bosses on the block. I also had to clearance the motor mounts.

GM PMGR starter can be taken in and out no issues, just have to slightly trim the head of one bolt to clear the tube.

Oil filter can be taken out no problem.

Drivers side back cylinder you need the snap on socket S9724RHS to remove and install the spark plug. It was designed for the LT1 engines. It also is handy for some of the other cylinders.

I would rather have the headers fit snug to the block and have more clearance to the steering box and suspension then not, which is why I say they fit well, even though I had to do a couple minor things.

I would look at the Doug's headers, they fit great on a standard head, have a set on my brother-in-laws 69 with a 402 BBC, 1.75", and they are perfect.
Old 11th-June-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
71SS454

Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
I have Hooker Comp headers in 2 inch on my big block 71. Had to dimple one tube for the power steering box. Would of fit fine with manual steering. Other than that they fit good. Now, I don't know about how they will fit with raised exhaust ports. Probably get a little tighter to the steering box.

On a side note, a big block with AFR heads better make a good bit more than 500hp. You can make more power than that with factory iron heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Old 12th-June-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
dmassey
(OP)

Surely there must be people on here running good fitting headers with afr heads.ive heard people say lemons are the way to go but will end up costing me like 2300$ landed in Australia or I get some custom made here
Old 28th-June-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
stc315

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 70 454/TH350 64SS 65 2d
I'm using Doug's headers. 2 inch primary. Fit perfectly. No dimpling necessary.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

70 Nova, ZZ502, TH400, 3.73
Old 1st-July-2019, 03:36 AM   #9
dmassey
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc315 View Post
I'm using Doug's headers. 2 inch primary. Fit perfectly. No dimpling necessary.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
are you using afr heads and can you remeber what part number it used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement