Carpet install advice - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th-May-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Alf
(OP)

Title: Nova Senior Member
Carpet install advice

Hi All, going to install the carpet kit in my '72 and would like some advice.
Using an ACC molded, loop carpet kit. I have it sitting out in the sun to get pliable but I'm interested to know what you have done to get a flat, tight installation.
Do you glue it down? What glue? Can you glue to dynamat? Do you use a heat gun to help mold? Maybe a couple of black screws where the toe board, trans tunnel and floor come together, (I know to be careful when drilling into loop)?
Please give me you tricks. I'd like it to be tight and wrinkle-free.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th-May-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Pragmatist

Title: Nova Guru
Garage
I had a shop do mine but I know there was no glue involved.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 30th-May-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Hopy

Nova(s): 66 Nova-6.2L LS3- 4L70E
Garage
I have the ACC Molded Loop on my 66. Did not use any Glue on mine either. Just sat it out in the sun. Be careful if you are thinking of using a heat gun, it could burn the fabric

Old 30th-May-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
rquad

Nova(s): 1974 Hatchback LS2
Garage
Once you get it in the car, it's going to slowly mold itself into place. You'll likely have to trim the sides - but make sure to leave enough to go under the sills. I only had to make one relief cut at the very top of the tranny tunnel to get mine to lay flat. It won't be stretched tight like in a house, but it settles down surprisingly well as you work with it.

No glue, no heat gun, no screws. Just tuck it under the trim and you should be good. My turned out great.
Old 30th-May-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
drm101

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
Garage
Ditto with rquad. When I did mine I just had to trim each side a bit and that was it. No glue or anything.
Old 30th-May-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
Alf
(OP)

Hey Guys, thank you for all of the great advice. I listened!
Old 30th-May-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
RifRaf

Nova(s): 1974 Nova Custom
Garage
I also installed ACC molded loop carpet in my 74 Nova years ago. Same installation method as rquad and drm101 stated. No glue... No heat gun... and I needed to trim each side of the carpet to sit under the door sills. When you bolt in the front seats, that will also help keep the carpet in place and close to the floor.

I also purchased the ACC front and rear fitted floor mats. I was very pleased with the overall quality and fit of both the carpet and the floor mats.

Last edited by RifRaf; 30th-May-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 30th-May-2019, 09:34 PM   #8
Alf
(OP)

Rifraf, looks great. lays flat w/o puckers. I'll be happy if mine comes out like yours.
Thanks
Old 12th-June-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
Steve56

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): I have a 72 Nova and thre
Sounds like ACC is a good place to get carpet.
Old 12th-June-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
Alf
(OP)

ACC is pretty much the only manufacturer. Although I think ACC is a descent product, my opinion is they could do a better job of molding. If they had better dies, (I'm assuming they are using floor pan sections) the rug could better fit all of the contours.

Example, in my '72 when I aligned the carpet's molded-in rear riser area of the rear carpet half to fit the backseat riser in the floor, the front of that carpet section then did not fit the factory floor indentations along the rockers. So, you have to decide which area of fitment is more important. (sorry for the long meandering sentence, hope it makes sense).
Alf
Old 12th-June-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
acd65post

Nova(s): 65 Two Door Post
scroll down through this link. There are a couple of short videos on how to restore carpet including a pretty neat way to make a perfect hole

https://www.classiccarrestorationclu...-carpet-seats/

I guess the carpet one is a premium video but they do mention in the discretion about using a steamer- would be a good way to relax the carpet so it will mold to the floor better/ faster.
You could also lay exercise weights in the foot area overnight.
The heat radiating through the floor when you start driving will also help the carpet mold in place.

Last edited by acd65post; 12th-June-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement