Chevy Nova Forum banner

Tires and wheels and disc brakes

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nova Thug 
#1 ·
I have a 1965 2 door post Chevyll with stock suspension. I’m ready to make the switch to disc brakes front and rear, using Classic Industries pn# BK01 front and RDA128RD rear. This kit does not move the wheel position out a1/2” like most do. I would like to run the largest tire/wheel combination possible. I’ve seen a few post about using 17x7 wheels with 4 3/4” bs and 235x45x17 tires. Has anyone had any experience with this combination?
I would appreciate any feedback.
Ray

#3 ·
If the rotors push the wheels out you’ll have to compensate the offset with backspaceing.. Rear disc brakes don’t usually have as much complications as front disc brake kits.. 17x7 with 4.74” backspace are the general dimensions to use if your brake rotors are zero offset or very low offset (1/8” or less).

This is a sticky link at the top of the “Wheels and tires” forum.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174589

#5 ·
I fairly certain that you’ll need the 5 lug spindles that go with the 5 lug brakes and I know you will also need the lower control arms as the steering stops are positioned differently. Without them the turning radius will be significantly limited..

#6 ·
@ Nova Thug - Yup, I'm definitely tracking the lower control arms being different from other research around the site.

Would those spindles be something that would need replaced during a disc brake swap? I was hoping to procure the whole required setup from Ray48Cox if he was replacing it all for his own swap. Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.