Chevy Nova Forum banner

15" tire selection

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  drm101 
#1 · (Edited)
So,
With the 35% exchange rate I would have to add on to buying a 17" rim set up the cost is very high for me.

Having said this, Are there very many tires selection wise if I go with 15" rims for now ( ralley wheels).

Front:
I have the early CPP/ Church Boys lower control arms and rack set up.
CPP zero offset disc brakes. Custom auto Fab coil overs.

Rear- Church Boys springs moved in with a mini tub to the frame rails.

I know what back spacing I need front and rear- there just not seem to be a lot of 15" tire choices(?)

65 two door post

#6 ·
195/15. I’m running the 3 1/2” rally’s up front. I wanted that classic hot rod muscle car look. Since my car is still in the assembly process I bought my tires used from a tire shop ($20 each for the rears and $10 for the skinnies). This is just for mock up while I get the car running

#4 ·
Best selection in tire size (and looks for our older cars) is:
BF Goodrich Radial T/A
Cooper Cobra GT
Mastercraft Avenger GT
Mickey Thompson Radial ST

There are some other brands that make 15" tires, but most of them only go up to about 215 in section width. Great if you're trying to make it look original, but most people want more like 225-255 in width.

#5 ·
To get the wider tires 225 and up you’ll probably end up with the tires already listed they are ok tires but the pricing is going to be pretty high especially if you end up going to Coker Tire.. By going to a larger wheel 17&18 inch you gain a tremendous amount of options to choose from with way more competitive pricing..

#7 ·
ok,
So I got my rims. I went with 15" rally wheels.
15x7 with 4 1/2" b.s front
15x8 5" b.s. back.
I think they will be fine. Now I just have to sort out the tires. mini tubbed to the frame rails- springs moved in 2.5" and I can get a 275/50 but not sure if it will give me problems with rubbing ( measures out at 10.8" at the side walls).
I can also get a 265/60 and it would measure 10.4" at the side wall but it would be a 27.5" tire - would fit without rubbing the inner rocker panel in the wheel well?
I am not to worried about the front tires as there is a greater selection on sizes.
Appreciate any info.

#9 ·
I mounted 255/60. The drivers side is very close to rubbing on the quarter panel lip in an area 2" long. I think if I hit a bad bump it would also rub on the area above the lip as it protrudes in a bit.
The passengers side has close to an inch clearance in these same areas.

Anyone else run in to this?

I am mini tubbed to the frame rails- a 5 1/2" or 6" back space would have been better.

#11 ·
My car in my signature is the same, it's common to see this with all Gens of the Nova. I moved my perches to correct this and have the wheels centered in both openings. I'd suggest measuring the outer quarter to the inner wheel well, it is possible the wheel well may need to be widened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.