Mono vs Multi leaf shock mounting plate - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-September-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
HairyNova
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Mono vs Multi leaf shock mounting plate

I bought a new 12 bolt to replace my 8.2. I also decided to switch from the original mono leafs to multi leafs (5).

Can I use the old shock mount bracket from the mono leafs or do I need to get a new one specifically for multi leaf? The part where the shocks attach has 2 holes that the shock goes between while I think the plates made for multi leafs just has a single hole that the shock attaches to from the side.

Sorry if my description isn’t the best but any help would be great. If I can use the old ones I’d be happy, they’re already here and they’re free.

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-September-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
sbc1320

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Should be able to reuse the same plate.
71 Nova 350
70 Nova 350
Old 10th-September-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
xten57

Nova(s): 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNova View Post
I bought a new 12 bolt to replace my 8.2. I also decided to switch from the original mono leafs to multi leafs (5).

Can I use the old shock mount bracket from the mono leafs or do I need to get a new one specifically for multi leaf? The part where the shocks attach has 2 holes that the shock goes between while I think the plates made for multi leafs just has a single hole that the shock attaches to from the side.

Sorry if my description isn’t the best but any help would be great. If I can use the old ones I’d be happy, they’re already here and they’re free.

Thanks,

Dennis
You WILL need to change the shock mounting plates. I found out the hard way, multi-leaf and mono-leaf shock mounts are different. The mono-leaf plates have a longer extension that puts the the lower shock mount too far down when used with multi-leaf springs. Your shocks would be too short with that 5-leaf stack of springs in there.

Initially, I modified my mono-leaf plates. But I eventually found some OEM multi-leaf plates in a junkyard and put those on. The modification was pretty simple, I just cut off the dog leg extensions and welded on a 1/2" bolt. That worked fine and only cost a couple of dollars.

I hope this helps,

Gerry
Attached Images

Old 11th-September-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
sbc1320

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
When I switched my mono 71 to multi leafs I reused my plates, but mine were CE bolt on traction bars with their plates. Only thing I did on that car was drill out the locating pin hole bigger.
71 Nova 350
70 Nova 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement