OG '63 door panel medallion? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-September-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Rusty63
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 2-door 327 4spd
OG '63 door panel medallion?

Excited to put the new PUI interior door panels into the nova...and the mylar medallions are two different styles front and back: flat (front panels), the other ribbed (back panels). Which is correct? Or is this correct for a '63 hard top?

Also, quality is a bit rough as only one medallion is centered, the other three are trimmed poorly or are off center, tilted, or both. Is this typical? Or am I being too picky for $220? The rest of the board looks nice, otherwise.

Just afraid now the car won't exactly have the same visual pop for the big reveal to my wife for our anniversary date. It was supposed to be in our wedding! At least she is still with me to see it done, eh?

Thanks for any info!

-Rusty
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th-September-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
SCHWABIE

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 2-'63ss verts '64 rt wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty63 View Post
Excited to put the new PUI interior door panels into the nova...and the mylar medallions are two different styles front and back: flat (front panels), the other ribbed (back panels). Which is correct? Or is this correct for a '63 hard top?

Also, quality is a bit rough as only one medallion is centered, the other three are trimmed poorly or are off center, tilted, or both. Is this typical? Or am I being too picky for $220? The rest of the board looks nice, otherwise.

Just afraid now the car won't exactly have the same visual pop for the big reveal to my wife for our anniversary date. It was supposed to be in our wedding! At least she is still with me to see it done, eh?

Thanks for any info!

-Rusty
NO , your not being too picky . those are two different door panels the panel pattern and the medallion are different
the bottom pic looks correct to me

hope you can get it done for the reveal , hopefully she won't leave ya before it's done
it's done , lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7th-September-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
drm101

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
Garage
I just checked the parts I just bought for mine and I'll second Schwabie. Both should look like the bottom pic.

Old 7th-September-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
drm101

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
Garage
Also, I wondered how the panels could be so inexpensive. The last and only other car that I restored was a '71 Nova. I get it now that I have them. Basically just a flat piece of cardboard with some thin vinyl over it. But they do look really nice when they are installed.
Old 7th-September-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
Rusty63
(OP)

Kind of figured the medallion should be smooth, not rippled. Wonder how they even have that design, unless another year used it...or maybe another car entirely. They did say red was special order color.

BTW, is the chrome centered on your pieces, and are they PUI brand?

Basically, if they can do it right, you guys think I should insist on new?

Not into naming who sold them to me, until they get a chance to make it right. An email is in to the PUI sales rep, so we shall see what happens. Guess it's time to open the seat covers and check, eh?

Thanks for your advice,
-Rusty
Old 8th-September-2019, 10:13 PM   #6
SouthBay2s

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 400 4-Door
Quote:
They did say red was special order color.
Red is not a special order color for the 63 door panels, kind of odd you were told that. It is actually one of the most common colors next to black and blue. Red was on back-order from PUI for multiple model years for a time. This included headliners. Maybe the sales rep was confused.

The door panels should match, no exceptions. I had this happen with a set of 67 SS panels recently. One of the doors did not match, but it was a non-SS panel packaged in with the SS one. Yours look like they are from two different manufacturers. Were your panels sealed in PUI bags?
1973 Nova Custom - sold
Old 9th-September-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Rusty63
(OP)

Yes, they were sealed bags from PUI. Front medallions smooth--albeit crooked and off-center--and back medallions diagonally ridged.

The seller only had black on the shelf. Said they have to call for PUI to make red. I figured red would be popular enough to be in stock, guess not.

Just checked my seat covers from PUI: they have no medallions at all, and came from Speedway. Had they been ordered from same place as door panels, they would have had the medallions (so says their photo and literature). Oops on my part, wonder Speedway versions were cheaper.

SouthBay2s - did they take back and replace your messed up panels, then?
Old 9th-September-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
SCHWABIE

Nova(s): 2-'63ss verts '64 rt wgn
Quote:

Just checked my seat covers from PUI: they have no medallions at all, and came from Speedway. Had they been ordered from same place as door panels, they would have had the medallions (so says their photo and literature). Oops on my part, wonder Speedway versions were cheaper.
the seat cover do not come with the medallions
they are a metal trim part installed on the cover
you will have to use your original seat medallions or buy new ones

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10th-September-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
SouthBay2s

I second what SCHWABIE said on the medallions. The repops are decent, but original is the way to go if you have them.

Quote:
SouthBay2s - did they take back and replace your messed up panels, then?
Yes they did. I was sent a UPS call tag for the ones in error. Had to re-box and drop at the UPS store. No big deal. The correct ones arrived maybe two weeks later. Looked great, customer happy.
1973 Nova Custom - sold
Old 19th-September-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Rusty63
(OP)

All-

I know this seems ridiculous, but can someone with a 63 hard top please take a close-up of their door medallion?

The parts house guy does not believe me how they should look, claims they should indeed be diagonally ribbed like this ////////// from factory original. PUI also claims this is correct.

PUI rep looked at the pictures of the crooked, peeling medallions and said he thinks that may just be the quality that you get. PUI techs are "...looking at their dies" for two + weeks now, but they don't see anything wrong so far. They also claim they really are "made to order" and have not simply sent me new ones.

Nonetheless, a close-up would surely bolster my case for how they should look, as the parts house guy is at least kind, and will try to get me new fronts from PUI.

Thanks for any help.

-Rusty
Old 20th-September-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
SouthBay2s

I probably have some used ones laying around and will check. I also have some new PUI in stock and can compare.
1973 Nova Custom - sold
Old 20th-September-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
SouthBay2s

This is brand new PUI on a car we are building. These were purchased within the last year.
Attached Images

1973 Nova Custom - sold
Old 20th-September-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
SouthBay2s

This is original GM 1963 400 4-door. You can see the patterns are overall lighter. If we are looking at it with a critical eye, both flavors of new panel you have are wrong. Regardless, as has been said here they should at least match.
Attached Images

1973 Nova Custom - sold

Last edited by SouthBay2s; 20th-September-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 22nd-September-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
Rusty63
(OP)

Thanks, SouthBay2s--much appreciated!

As you mentioned the patterns are different for the medallion: the rib or ridge is thinner and looks like \\\\\ on original versus ///// on reproduction. Slight, but why not just do it the original way. Weird.

I left out that the quality on the rest of my panels is also a bit poor; the lines are sometimes discontinuous, plus some are not even straight. It is almost like the dies got misaligned during processing..?

Your black repop panel looks pretty good and crisp. Clearly proves it CAN be done. So why not red? No clue.

The parts house said that red truly is made to order, PUI doesn't really have them lying around (to ship me new ones). Any orders of red he has had always takes two-plus weeks to create, and then ship to customer.

Just tough to accept they cannot "check the dies" in over two weeks time, and have not said "we will give you new panels as soon as possible, we apologize for the quality." The rep told him we are probably just stuck with them. Wow.

Last edited by Rusty63; 22nd-September-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 23rd-September-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
Nova Thug

Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
So who have you ordered these panels from..? Return them and get a refund or replace them with a proper matching set.. Those are the options they should have to given you.. These panels are not a matching set. They are red however the pattern in the vinyl is different. One has a clear diagonal weave in the red vinyl and the ribbed medallion and the other spattered texture in the red vinyl with the smooth chrome medallion.. If youíre dealing with discount, closeout, or liquidation house or buying blemished 2nds thatís one thing, but if you are buying from a vendor that is selling 1st quality new merchandise then that is what you should be getting.. If they donít want to make it right then we blast them with bad reviews and take them to the court of public opinion.

If I do a job it is done to the best of my abilities. Quality, craftsmanship, and customer service are the order of the day. Iím not cheap so it better be good.. If something is wrong I fix it and make it right.. My reputation is important to me and my only advertising is by customer referrals. You stop caring about what you do and produce crap you wonít last long..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement